Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
i think its bull that the mac mini has 4usb ports and the macbook only has 2. if there were anywhere where ports are more usefull its on a portable. the mac mini can very well just use a hub, with a portable its more difficult.
andreas

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
There just isn't space on most laptops to put more than 2 USB ports, unless you go with those mini-USB ports that require adapters.

Hell, in my case I could almost get away with ZERO USB ports on my PowerBook... the only port that's ever (and I mean EVER) been used on it is the power port.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
blueflame said:
i think its bull that the mac mini has 4usb ports and the macbook only has 2. if there were anywhere where ports are more usefull its on a portable. the mac mini can very well just use a hub, with a portable its more difficult.
andreas
Well, I think it's bull that the Mac mini doesn't have a built-in battery or display. :rolleyes:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Daedalus256 said:
you do realize that most laptops only have two usb ports. Is it really that hard to shell out like $10 for a cheap usb hub?

And if you're carrying it around, are you going to have four USB devices with you?

BTW, the one firewire port is a bit disconcerting. That means only one daisy chain, and only one device without a pass-through. After the iSight, you're done.

macrants

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2003
Le Big Mac said:
And if you're carrying it around, are you going to have four USB devices with you?

BTW, the one firewire port is a bit disconcerting. That means only one daisy chain, and only one device without a pass-through. After the iSight, you're done.

Umm... That would be true, if it weren't integrated.

Also, I noticed the iSight shows up under USB devices in About This Mac on our Intel iMac, isn't that weird?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
macrants said:
Umm... That would be true, if it weren't integrated.

Also, I noticed the iSight shows up under USB devices in About This Mac on our Intel iMac, isn't that weird?

no because it is USB.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
blueflame said:
andreas
Yea - where are you going to plug the keyboard and trackpad in on a MacBook Pro if it only has 2 USB ports... Oops, they're built in ... nevermind.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Even if you did have four usb devices, there was a wonderful technological advance a few years ago when USB became standard- and it is called hot swapable devices. I see it like this- if you have so many devices you most likely are using the laptop at your desk at work or at home so you would be better off using a plug in USB hub where you have all your devices plugged in directly, then you just have to plug in your one usb cord for you hub. Then if you are on the "road" you plug devices in directly. With wireless access to printing, etc. there is less of a need for ports. The only argument I could see for another usb would be if you use a wireless mouse (like I do) and then you have a iPod shuffle, and want one more port. But since I only charge the shuffle every once and a while it is often not necessary for another port. Just my opinion. I like having a smaller laptop personally and will just hot swap when necessary.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
blueflame said:
andreas
I think you should quit your bitching. Jeez.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
Excuse me?

GimmeSlack12 said:
I think you should quit your bitching. Jeez.
I am not bitching, I am excersising my right to my opinion. not only that, but i belive that there have been recent grublings about this mac mini and its intel graphics, how do you find that any different. I am a laptop user, and i find that it is a pain to have to worry about a USB hub. just by adding 2 more usb ports, many small annoyences of mine would be fixed. got a problem with that? im sure more than one person at least would agree with me.
andreas

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
blueflame said:
I am not bitching, I am excersising my right to my opinion. not only that, but i belive that there have been recent grublings about this mac mini and its intel graphics, how do you find that any different. I am a laptop user, and i find that it is a pain to have to worry about a USB hub. just by adding 2 more usb ports, many small annoyences of mine would be fixed. got a problem with that? im sure more than one person at least would agree with me.
andreas

Out of curiosity, what devices would you run?

pardonator

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2006
2 usb's is ok, 3 or 4 would have been better. My previous 2 windows laptops have had 4 usb slots, both 15" models like the macbook.

External usb mouse/ printer? What if you need to plug in your digital camera/ ip phone/ usb headset?

It's not a huge biggy, I have a small usb hub, it'd just be nice to have more ports :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
blueflame said:
andreas

Have you tried contacting Apple and asking them to design a laptop specifically w/you in mind?

pardonator,
Were all the physical dimensions of said PC laptops the same as Apple's?

Lethal

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
JRM PowerPod said:
each with 6 programmable buttons so that you can have 24 buttons. MAD

Actually, you better make it 6 ports...otherwise where would he put his USB fan and USB night light?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
blueflame said:
andreas

You asked the question. The answer is: it's just you.

Two USB ports is enough for 95% of people. USB2 hubs are cheap too.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
emotion said:
You asked the question. The answer is: it's just you.

Two USB ports is enough for 95% of people. USB2 hubs are cheap too.
I use a hub when at my desk. I have external drives and such. Other than that when I am at work 2 is always been plenty

craig0ry

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
Uh oh, someone criticized an Apple product in here... Watch out for the swarm :rolleyes:

Just because someone critiques an aspect of an Apple product doesn't mean they are Satan incarnate guys...

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
craig0ry said:
Uh oh, someone criticized an Apple product in here... Watch out for the swarm :rolleyes:

Just because someone critiques an aspect of an Apple product doesn't mean they are Satan incarnate guys...

If it was a fair criticism then ok. On a portable device I think 2 usb ports are fine.

The MBP is a very thin compact laptop, what would you give up to have the extra 2 usb ports?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.