Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I remember being able to view entire articles from RSS feeds in the past. Then I stepped away from RSS for a while and I've given it a shot...only to see that many websites seem to allow only a smidge of an article to show up on the feed viewer and force you to visit the website proper to read the whole article.

Am I just using the wrong apps, or what?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No, it isn't just you. I use the Shared Links feature in Safari for that reason. People saw their traffic go down, and there went ad revenue along with it. I understand that RSS was to blame for it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I remember being able to view entire articles from RSS feeds in the past. Then I stepped away from RSS for a while and I've given it a shot...only to see that many websites seem to allow only a smidge of an article to show up on the feed viewer and force you to visit the website proper to read the whole article.

Am I just using the wrong apps, or what?

Nope this seems to be the norm now. I still use RSS a lot, but I am finding more and more are forcing you to visit the page in order to finish reading the article. Kind of a pain especially if the page isn't setup for a mobile device or if you get blasted with adds that pop up all over the freaking place. Those sites I usually dump if it happens to much.

haxrnick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Seattle
I no longer use RSS and basically now only use twitter. I just follow the feeds I was following using RSS.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Kind of a pain especially if the page isn't setup for a mobile device or if you get blasted with adds that pop up all over the freaking place.

This was exactly the reason why I got back into the RSS game.

Fortunately enough, some apps allow you to read articles in Instapaper/Google/Readability Mobilizer, so I guess it's a bit of a workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.