Is it just me, or is RSS not as useful as in the past?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kylera, Apr 4, 2015.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I remember being able to view entire articles from RSS feeds in the past. Then I stepped away from RSS for a while and I've given it a shot...only to see that many websites seem to allow only a smidge of an article to show up on the feed viewer and force you to visit the website proper to read the whole article.

Am I just using the wrong apps, or what?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

No, it isn't just you. I use the Shared Links feature in Safari for that reason. People saw their traffic go down, and there went ad revenue along with it. I understand that RSS was to blame for it.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Nope this seems to be the norm now. I still use RSS a lot, but I am finding more and more are forcing you to visit the page in order to finish reading the article. Kind of a pain especially if the page isn't setup for a mobile device or if you get blasted with adds that pop up all over the freaking place. Those sites I usually dump if it happens to much.

4. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I no longer use RSS and basically now only use twitter. I just follow the feeds I was following using RSS.

5. ToonerBru macrumors newbie

6. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

This was exactly the reason why I got back into the RSS game.

Fortunately enough, some apps allow you to read articles in Instapaper/Google/Readability Mobilizer, so I guess it's a bit of a workaround.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I never saw the need/use for RSS. I still don't, but I also don't hear nearly as many people going on about it as I used to.