Is it just me, or is Siri way better!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CosmoPilot, Sep 20, 2012.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

iOS6 has dramatically improved Siri's speed and voice recognition for me. Anyone else experiencing a much improved Siri experience?

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I'm not. It told me she was having problems today, and yesterday. And the day before that.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

When I hold down the home button nothing happens. Siri will open up but nothing happens. Siri is horrible and always will be for as long as it doesn't work, which is 90% of the time for me.

4. Bebel macrumors member

I love all the new functions that Siri is able to do now, especially opening apps and looking up scores. Pretty great so far!

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It appears to be greatly improved, but still has some hiccups.

Some words, it just can't recognize, no matter how you try to overly enunciate...

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Seems to understand me even less now than it did on iOS 5.

Although, oddly enough, when I change it to English US, it seems to pick up what I say more than the UK version does.

7. bennyboy34 macrumors member

Siri works perfectly for me 80% of the time, and always has.

8. antdawe macrumors regular

Much better for me to.

I live deep in the valleys of south wales, UK and siri has struggled with my accent in the past but now its much improved.

9. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

Definitely significantly improved in terms of speed of response and speech recognition; I've noticed it since the earlier beta builds. Very happy with it; it's definitely increased my use of Siri.

10. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502

Yep, it definitely seems to be better for me.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's definitely more accurate for me these days. I am currently enjoying a vastly improved success rate when dictating messages. :)

12. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxKhUuZ0Rc

NSFW.

13. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

14. petsounds macrumors 65816

Nope. The past few days it has barely responded. Siri has always understood me fairly well. But the voice quality of Siri seems rather worse in iOS 6. Perhaps the quality and Siri's network problems are related. Apple might send down a more compressed voice when the servers are hammered.

In general, I'm very disappointed in how little Siri has advanced since iOS 5. I can't believe that they added movie reviews and integrated theater showtimes, and yet you can't purchase tickets. So what's the point? It's useless if you can't complete that transaction. This is something that was available in the pre-Apple Siri app!

And things like the weather; it's a very poor, rudimentary dataset. I believe Apple still uses Yahoo weather. I'd much rather see data from Weather Underground.

The biggest problem with Siri is that it doesn't know anything about the data it just returned to you, and so it's very rare to have a contextual conversation. The few areas where that works are things like setting Reminders where Apple has pre-programmed that conversation tree.

15. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Much more accurate in iOS 6 and works 99% percent of the time. Loving Siri even more than before! :D

16. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I hate to be 'that guy', but while Siri is improving (and I'm happy to have it on my iPad now), it's still inferior to Google Now. Siri is slower and does less with (in my experience) less accuracy, but it does have the cute 'conversation' feature which Now lacks.

18. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

she now understands my accent.

same here.

19. Mk1010 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

I've found Siri to be a little sluggish over the past few days.

In general though, I'm happy with what I use it for (hands free reading and responding to texts while in the car). Also, some of the new functions are great, like sports scores.

20. cowelder macrumors newbie

YES! I have a southern accent and she now picks up everything. My only problem now is every time I say "eat" she thinks I'm saying "eight". Well I can live with this. :rolleyes:

21. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Also, some words are recognized correctly when requesting a web search, but not when requesting a song to be played.

For some of my phone contacts, I have had to resort to manipulating the stored spelling of the names in order to get voice dialing to work for them.

22. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

23. alflavor macrumors regular

It's better, but doesn't understand Championship football teams, and when I asked about restaurants nearby I got 5-6 hits, the only one in my town was in fact a greengrocer's!

It did not tell me about the fantastic Italian, which is number 1 on Tripadvisor for my town, nor about the Wetherspoons.. So more improvements at the back end needed...