Is it just me, or is the 'H' key's backlight a lot brighter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheRealHershey, Jul 26, 2011.

1. TheRealHershey macrumors member

I was just setting up my new MBA 13 Core i5 256GB (Samsung screen and Samsung SSD) ordered from apple.com last night, and I noticed the 'H' key's backlight is super bright in comparison to the rest of the keyboard. The right side of the keyboard is brighter than the left, too.

Anything over about 30% brightness and it's really noticeable.

If the left side of the keyboard is a 1, the right side is a 1.5 and the 'H' key is a 2, as far as brightnesses go.

I haven't seen this posted anywhere online, so thought I'd ask. It's actually really annoying; like having a bright light aiming at your eye. ;(

2. Kafka macrumors 6502

Backlighting is perfect on mine, actually better than on my 13" MBP since there is less space between the keys and the chassis.

3. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Definitely whack on mine then.

Here's a photo that captures about half of the actual effect.

[​IMG]

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

5. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Cool? No, not cool. It annoys me. It's like that damn blue light that never dims or shuts off on a windows laptop and is always glaring at you. :|

6. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Guess it's back to the apple store for you to get an exchange

7. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

8. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't have taken it back for an exchange, even if I had gotten the Toshiba SSD, but this is just really annoying. I can only imagine what it'll be like in the dark at night. :eek:

9. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Watch now people will want to dispute the brand of backlit keyboard in their new airs. Between the monitor, SSD, and keyboard people will have a better chance at winning the lotto before getting all the right brands.

10. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Hahahahah. You're right, but don't forget the RAM, it might be made by some different companies, too!

11. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

that's the Toshiba keyboard with the LG backlight

12. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Damn it, I knew something was wrong. I need the Samsung keyboard with the Samsung backlight!!! :D

13. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

I tried to exchange it at the (corp.) Apple Store and they were going to do it until they saw I had bought it with an EPP discount; apparently, there is just no way in hell they can do a straight across exchange for the exact same item/model if you bought your mac with any sort of discount. :|

No one there had ever seen this problem and agreed that it was notable.

I fought with them for a little while, explaining that I'm going on vaca next week and had even overnighted it for the $16 more, but they weren't willing to do anything. Kind of upsetting, since everyone else seems to get great service at Apple Stores, even over stuff they shouldn't.

So now, I have to call Apple, get them to email me a shipping label, box the darn thing up, send it back, wait for a new one, ect. They better overnight the new one, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apple products, but I've never had a single store say they couldn't exchange my item for the exact same item. I've exchanged a lot of tech items over the years; usually they all have at least on discount or coupon of some sort, too.