Is it just me or is the MB really heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by luffytubby, May 29, 2008.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Are many 13' machine this heavy? I can't tell the difference in weight between MB and 17' MBP!
    Theres a big difference is size but they weigh the same?

I really think its a bummer, because it makes the MB hard to carry around... particularly with 1 hand... The Air is much lighter, but I am not sure the weight gains are worth it!?

If MB got SSD and didnt use hard drives(i imagine the HD is the heaviest thing in the machine?) how much lighter could the machine get(and thinner)?

2. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I've honestly never noticed. The 17" MBP is 6.8Lbs., though, and the Macbook is 5, so they're not the same weight. The difference in weight between the MB and the 17" MBP is actually about the same as between the MBA and MB (2 pounds).

But, most laptops in general are not lighter than the MBP, but I have never personally held another 13.3" laptop. I carry my MB around with a bunch of other stuff all day, every day, and carry it around in one hand a lot, it's never been a big deal. Sorry. SSDs are expenses right now, anyways, so I don't see how there'd be any benefit of a Macbook with SSD versus the low-priced MBA in terms of price...?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just you. The MB isn't heavy. Try carrying around a 14" iBook G4. That gets heavy.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I agree, the BlackBook/MB weight of 5lbs. is heavier than I thought, b/c with all the cords, magsafe charger, remote, mini-DVI adapter, iPhone/BT dock, magicjack + phone, bottle of iKlear, Ti83Plus, all packed into my Higher Ground LapTrap Backpack, seems so much heavier. Though the BlackBook is a heavy 5lbs, by itself, I've grown accustomed to it's heaviness and tend to lug it around without concern. Don't really do the "one-hand" thing at present.

5. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

my cousin has a MBP 15..and i have a MB

honestly my MB feels much heavier than the MBP, even though the MB is rated lower in weight

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

It's just you.

Typical cheap PC 14" or 15" laptops weights the same as the 17" MBP.

You might want to hit the gym or do some exercise.

I carry around 17" MBP around and it's fine. I am also over 6' and fit though. Note that I actually use the 17" MBP as an 17" iPod if I know I am going to be waiting in line for long.

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yay! Atleast I know I'm not the only one who does that! :D I'm not fit at all, though, I just enjoy using my Macbook as an iPod.

8. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

seriously? hitting the gym?

i think the MB is so heavy that you just cant easily carry it around you with one hand, like you can with the air... (they are both 13)...

i can see the air is thinner and it has made compromises, but why is MB so much heavier? what is it inside of it that makes it like that?

the air you can lift with your fingertips.. you can carry it around for 5 hours straight if you had to and it wouldnt be a problem.

if you really need to have your laptop be real mobile, then 5 ilbs is to heavy IMO

What about all does lonovo notebooks and such? thinkpads! do does 13' have the same weight?

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

when i first picked it up it did feel a little heavier than i thought it was going to be but i quickly got used to it and now actually find it light.

10. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Its lighter and thinner than the 12" iBook G4....

11. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

lol u think the mb is that heavy? u must be like terribly week mann.

1-yes many laptops this size that don't have as much performance, HD space, and ram are about a pound lighter. But the macbook only has one compromise and thats that video card. Other than that it has great power and is actually light in my eyes...i seriously don't know what your lugging around

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I know there are a lot of lighter laptops out there, but seriously, it isn't that heavy, it is only 2.2kg. I can easily lift it with one hand and I have a pretty light build.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

First off i dont think the MB is that heavy...i dont think any Apple laptops are that heavy when compared to some other competitors. I carry the MB with one hand easy.

Second comparing the Air to the MB isn't a fair comparison, after all, the MacBook has an optical drive, standard laptop drive (not iPod HDD like the Air), bigger processors hence a heavier cooling system overall and finally a CCFL display as opposed to the lighter LED backlit screens

Also aircraft grade aluminum is lighter than polycarbonate plastic which is why its used to build aircrafts (aerodynamic)

Overall i dont think the MB is that heavy and of course the Air will be lighter...it was built to be an ultra-portable after all and it houses fewer/lighter components.

14. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Its not heavy, but compared to the MBA it is. I have an X31 which is 3.7 pounds, and I know that when I get a MB its going to feel heavy in comparision. Again...not "omg I can't carry this I need help" heavy, but not light as a feather like this is.

15. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

i don't know about u guys..i'm huge..i lift weights...

this MB feels like paper weight

16. TSE macrumors 68030

The MacBook is heavier then it looks, but when I had it I never had a problem with it.

17. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

No mb or mbp is heavy.

If you think it is, try carrying a 24" imac.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have no problems carrying my macbook around. even on my bike its a non-issue in terms of weight.

19. blakintosh macrumors member

It isn't heavy, but it could be lighter ;)

What i mean is that there is room for improvement and i don't know but i guess newer models would be more "macbook air" styled, but this can take a lot of time.

20. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I agree,

I'm actually looking into buying a macbook (thinking about making the switch:D). One of the reasons I'm holding off (besides the fact that I don't really need a new computer right now, I just really want one) is that I think a macbook redesign especially if it is all aluminum would make the macbook the perfect weight that it should be (around 4.5-4 pounds)

Just for reference there are 13inch and 12 inch laptops that are not fully functional (not like the macbook air) which are lighter than the macbook

dell xps m1330
    dell vostro (new 13 inch can't remember the number right now)
    lenovo thinkpad x61
    toshiba U400/405

Now don't get me wrong. I don't want any of these notebooks. I WANT a macbook. But if apple shaved of a few tenths of a pound that would be perfect!

21. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Heavy? My computer I carried with me everywhere was a 14" iBook. That thing gets heavy.

MacBook...it's ****ing light.

22. 28monkeys macrumors 6502

28monkeys

Seriously i dont think this thread is worth reading.

MB is one of the lightest notebook in the present market. And comparing to MBP, it is lighter..you shouldn't mention about MBA, MBA itself is an ultraportal bro, it has to be LIGHT by nature. Stop complaining, if you don't like then sell it to me then. :D

23. k2kb2 macrumors newbie

Yes it is

At first I bought my MB just because I'd thought it's light
    ,and now I got a bit disapointed when carry my MB Pro 15" of my friend,that's lighter so much,can realize easily!
    The better power wif a lighter body make me so disapointed wif my MB!

24. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Yet, here you are, double posting. Great job sir. You won the cookie!

Also, I don't think a 13'(MBA) can be considered a UP)

Why wouldn' I be able to carry it with one hand? I mean, its hard to lift it up with one wrist, if its sitting on your lap if your lying in bed or something. I can do it with my wrist, but not without discomfort... I want it to be lighter.

So an Alu macbook would be lighter? How much?

Also, what are the chances that MB will get a dedicated GFX card in the next revision?

25. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I would think if you can't lift 5lbs using one hand, you really need to hit the gym... :rolleyes:

I can think of a lot of things that would weigh more than 5lbs. A fat textbook can easily weigh that much, or a briefcase with some papers in it.

A MacBook is practically weightless compared to some Dells and HPs out there.