is it just me or is there something strange about this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Harmush, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

2. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

I don't want to be rude, but have you ever bought of ebay before? :confused:

Seller has good rating and is a powersell so prob reuses his adverts when selling identical items - he does have over 700 auctions listed so doing them all manually would be a bit of a chore.

looks fine to me

Good luck if you bid,

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well having checked the serial number here

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

it seems that the macbook does exist, so the listing is not totally dud as the specs match.
    I could not say however if it will ever be delivered, his feedback is good, and is a powerseller.

Not sure, perhaps watch it for awhile.

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Looks like a legitimate seller to me. They claim the item works. It's up to you.

5. stuarthatto macrumors regular

looks legit to me as well..

Serial number: 4H645FZBWGK
    Name: MacBook (Late 2006)
    Model: Mxxxx MacBook (White) 1.83GHz
    Bus speed: 667MHz
    Screen size: 13 inch
    Screen resolution: 1280x800 pixels
    Memory - number of slots: 2
    Factory: 4H (China)
    URL: Technical specifications by apple-history.com code_to_number: FZB - W88127VDZE2

Model introduced: 2006
    Production year: 2006
    Production week: 45 (November)
    Production number: 18473 (within this week)

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just checked it as well. I think someone I know bought an item from that seller. It is legit, he/she is a powerseller and has hundreds of listings. The feedback/ratings also are on par.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The seller is illegally installing copies of iLife, Leopard and Microsoft Office. While I accept that people will use piracy as a means to get software they cannot afford, I think it is utterly despicable to actually SELL pirated software like this guy is doing.

There's one reason for my reasoning - it artificially inflates the price of computers with pirated software while those who are just trying to do the proper thing and sell a used machine which they no longer need lose out. I myself have lost out like this in the past and I always report illegal software like this to eBay.

8. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

The software could be legal. The seller may just no longer have the install discs - though I suspect that this one is illegal.

It is a bit strong to be selling on pirated software. Though the laptop seems fine. Happy bidding.

9. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

Not too much no. Maybe too buy some guitar strings or a case for my phone, nothing of this kind.

Thanks guys. a wining at the moment, 2 days to go. still only at £102GBP probably shoot up in the last minuet fingers crossed, could be getting a decent buy!

And f the software is illegal, i will just put legal versions on, i hold a few licenses anyway.

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I would be surprised if it sells for less than £400 - even if it is a Core Duo base spec MacBook.....

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That price will shoot up at the last second.

I don't personally bother with eBay anymore, I find it too much hassle. I prefer to buy and sell locally, starting first with my circle of friends, then work buy/sell bulletin boards, then local listings on Craigslist, kijiji, newsgroups, etc. You may not get quite as many dollars but I find it a lot easier, faster, and less risky.