is it just me or is voice recognition way better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sakau2007, Sep 22, 2014.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

not sure if it was iOS 8, the 6+ or a combination of both, but i've been using the voice recognition in sending text messages and it is remarkably accurate. it used to be littered with errors when i spoke rendering it basically worthless to me but now it makes fewer typos than my fingers do.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Id say you could be right. Siri in the car was unuseable on the iPhone 5. Now it works very well.

I get a kick out of going 'Hey Siri' when driving. She's going to tell me to go to hell sometime.

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It's probably better but I can't tell since it had always been almost perfect for me. What has improved for me is that it now does speech to text in real time.

4. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes i noticed this too. pretty cool to see it working in action.

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm loving it! I'm getting Siri to do all my dirty work -- setting or cancelling alarms, navigation, reminders. It's faster than unlocking the app and launching to set alarms or send texts manually :)

6. grizzy macrumors member

totally agree

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

lol it seems normal to me since i have been using all these features since June, thats the only sucky part of doing the beta. It's old by the time its released!

8. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

It actually is working much worse for me...

Maybe siri has to get used to my voice again? It's getting a lot of words wrong.

9. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Yes I love that feature, so much faster for sending quick texts. The only thing I don't like is that it'll often mess up there/they're/their and saying 'lol' types out 'LOL'. Like damn, I don't need to seem that entertained!

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The speech recognition is improving slowly over time. But I think Siri's voice needs some work. While distinctive, she sounds very robotic next to newer rivals such as Cortana. She is also really horrible at pronouncing Spanish (like street names).

11. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I think they are scrapping the engine Siri is based on anyway, at least based on a few reports this year from a few different sites.

12. 0000111 macrumors member

I have a 5s, definitely noticed the improvement as well.

What's interesting is that it is not similar to the desktop version of dictation (that you must download the advanced, real-time dictation), and turning the device on airplane mode disables it. So dictation just plain works better!

13. corlando465 macrumors member

I have never been a fan since she always seems to get what I'm saying wrong, but used her after the upgrade and she did great! :)