Is it just me or my Macbook Pro is already running slow????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Feb 2, 2010.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

So I got my MBP less than 2 weeks ago, and I was wondering if its already running slow. I got the the MBP with 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB and 250GB Hardrive, and still have 225GB left. Here's how long some of the programs takes to load:

iTunes: 2-5 seconds
    Keynote: 7-8 secs
    Pages: 4-5 secs
    Numbers: 2-3 secs
    Safari: 1-2 secs
    iPhoto: 4 secs
    MSN Messenger: 1-2 secs

So, how long does these programs take for u guys, and do u guys think should I be worried or am I just complaining for not reason?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are good values, but expect iTunes to get slower start times when the iTunes library grows.

Other than that, you're complaining for no reason. ;)

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Sounds pretty normal to me, especially if it's the 5400RPM HDD. Should have bought the SSD if you wanted faster opening times.

4. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Thanks for the reply. Actually I already have like over 1000 items in iTunes, including movies, TV Shows, Apps, songs and Music Videos. I didn't save anything to my MBP, everything is saved in a external hardrive. I guess it helps not using the internal drive so much to keep the comp running smooth.

5. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Where can I go to check which one I got??? I went to "About this Mac" but can;t find the info there. Sorry if I sound stupid, this is my first time using a Mac, and I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

6. maldoblaz macrumors member

Define slow! These apps are not heavy loaders at all. These times are VERY reasonable if you open "clean" docs, if you open large data docs, they will take some time opening depending on the size of them, assuming you have at least 2Gb RAM to catch up.

As a piece of advise, the factory loaded OS isn't "tuned" enough for your best performance. There are a lot of maintenance and tuning apps. I suggest you use DoktorKleanor for basic and easy tuning.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Check the model and search for it.

[​IMG]

The drive in the example image is a Hitachi 723232L9A360.
    The 72 stands for 7200rpm, the first 32 for the HDD series going up to 320GB (297GiB), the second 32 stands for the actual capacity of 320GB (297GiB).
    If the second 32 would be a 25 instead, the drive would have a capacity of 250GB (232GiB).

8. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

I guess the reason why I think its "slow", even thought its 10 times faster than the lap top I had b4, is because when I bought this comp, I was expecting for everything to open immediately. I mean, I think I'm just bitching for no reason, I just wanted to hear some opinions.

See, the main reason I got this comp is for college. I'm going to school for Graphic design, and I just want this comp to be able to handle all the programs I'm going to be using like Photoshop and Adobe. And also to last at least 3-4 years.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have enough RAM you can leave some applications open, even if you don't use them.

Currently I have 20 open applications (Safari, Opera, PS, iTunes, System Preferences, Activity Monitor, Finder, QuickTime, Disk Utility, ....) and the only slowdown I experience is with Safari and its stupid dependability on spun up external HDDs before opening a new tab (sometimes at least).

10. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

Fireman451

I have the same MBP configuration. Yours is running fine, get some sleep.
    :)

11. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Thanks, I did that, and this is what I got. Is this any good?

[​IMG]

12. Fireman451 macrumors newbie

Fireman451

Just checked my MBP and it looks exactly like yours except my model is not a Fujitsu.

My model is a Seagate ST9250315ASG. Otherwise, looks the same.

13. maldoblaz macrumors member

Any graphic app will be a heavy loader to your system. Follow these basic advise:
    a) Fill as much RAM as you can buy
    b) Use an external FW800 HD for all your music, graphics, video and docs (USB2.0 is ok but not the best)
    c) Do not install any software that you don't use for projects/ work such as games, P2P's, or chatrooms. MS Office, iWork, Pro Graphic Software and iLife are ok
    d) Always work with official software, Downloaded broken apps are always a mess
    e) Always update your apps and OS
    f) Use your MBP carefully: handle with care, keep it clean, and NEVER let anyone to use or abuse it

Do so and you will surely have a computer for all your college years. Cheers!

14. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Thanks for all those tips!

15. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

there's no problem here. it's normal for applications to take a while to open. if you want them to open faster, the answer is VERY simple: buy a ssd.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

why are you keeping everything on an external? There's no reason you don't use any space on the internal drive.

17. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Im just keeping my iTunes library in an external, cause I'm leaving the internal space free for my school stuff.

18. dudulang macrumors member

Update SSD in your MBP and all problem will be solved. Applications can be opened in "no time" :cool: ( joking, but really very quick, 5X times than HD)

19. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Get an SSD, I got an Intel X25-M 160 Gb a few months after I bought my Mac, now stuff loads almost instant. Also, booting from cold to when firefox is opened and can be used takes 16 seconds.