Is it just me or safari 4 keeps crashing..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 88888888, Sep 18, 2009.

1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

Whenever i go on like espn.com.. it crashes on home page.
    flash problem?
    i have the latest update too.. -.-
    im so annoyed

2. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

no its not just you
    Mine crashes like few times a day, and I hardly do heavy browsing to 20 tabs thing.

I have to add I have been using macs since the Jaguar days(2002) then updated to tiger maybe by the end of 2005, never did the mac crash so much.
    This is really weird , it has hard time loading websites a lot of the time too.

Using 10.5.8 currently

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, mine does too. Plus it locks up when I try to download dash widgets from the Apple site, have to use Safari 3 for that... =(

Lol I've been using Macs since 1995 with the LC3 (OS7), ibook (OS9) etc...:apple:

4. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

5. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Yeap, crashed on me a few times. I'm sure they will have a download soon to fix it??

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

god, safari 4 sucks. Anytime I print something it crashes, or if I save a picture it crashes (after it restarts its fine, but if I go a long time w/o saving pics and try again..). And half the time, when I restart it it crashes again.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

Same here, except for the Unity 3d plugin that's used for some online games. That thing crashes both Firefox and Safari every once in a while for me.

9. Shownarou macrumors regular

I have personally been having problems with Firefox crashing.. I just recently started using Safari and have been amazed, it seems must faster and I haven't had a crash yet. I do hope you updated your flash, Snow Leopard downgraded the flash version and it had some problems.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

People keep posting these types of threads, but no one ever gives any useful information to debug the problem. Post Console messages and Crash Reports if you want to get the problem resolved. Otherwise, just switch browsers to Firefox or Opera.

11. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I tried switching browsers a lot but I find that Safari is best on Mac and FireFox is best on Windows(dunno about Safari and Chrome on Wintel)

I think the solution is using Snow Leopard maybe fixed it?

12. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Someone help....

I'm not sure why, but it keeps crashing on me. I can reproduce it everytime I go to certain site (for example http://datnewcudi.com) it will load the page and once I start scrolling it'll lock up and beachball. I've let it sit to see if it will sort itself out but it just beachballs forever. Getting really annoying because I have to force quit every time and lose my tabs/pages.

I think it has something to do with glimmerblocker which I previously had installed (but no longer do). I tried reinstalling and uninstalling but didn't work. Safari crashes whether or not it is installed or running. Here's a SS of my console.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what's wrong/ how to fix it? I'm thinking I'm going to somehow reinstall Safari fresh.

ETA: OK, so it's not just Safari, FF is crashing on the exact same sites. So I'm assuming it's a plugin. How would I go about getting rid of it?

13. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I don't know what the deal is, but after about the 10th time Safari crashed on me, I switched back to Firefox.

In fact, I told Apple that in the crash report comments box.

I don't know what the problem is, but it's a huge oversight if your web browser won't even run on your OS update.

It would be one thing if it crashed doing complex things with multiple tabs, but it will beachball or full on crash for no discernable reason whatever, with 2 tabs open on decently fast-loading websites.

It's pretty pathetic.

Sorry, we'll get right on that. Tell ya what, I'm going to switch back to using Safari and watch it crash as many times as I can so I can post the debug messages here. In fact, I think I'll start filling out some really long web forms that I'll have to start over every time it crashes.

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Good, that will be of help, because simply saying it crashes doesn't help resolve the problem at all. I still haven't had Safari crash on me since I switched to Snow Leopard so I can't do any investigation on my side, so have to ask users to do troubleshooting.

15. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

it doesn't crash on me
    I am using leopard and safari 4
    I am no tech guy , but my experience tells me it is a plug-in or a 3rd party installed on your system that is doing it

16. kiddax macrumors newbie

After installing snow leopard I had issues with freezing browsers wide, didnt matter the browser, I'd hit espn or another flash/java related site and it would crash. I ended up deleting everything in the Internet plug-ins folder and redownloading them and it's fine. Not one crash since.

17. macbanda macrumors member

I'm having the same problem with both Safari and Firefox crashing. I get the same messages about Flash stop working. This all started when updated to Snow Leopard. I've updated to the latest version of flash also.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is annoying! I wish I had never updated to Snow Leopard.

18. eckoman11 macrumors newbie

At least Snow Leopard didn't delete your entire iPhoto library. But yeah, I've been having trouble with the crashes as well. I'll have maybe 4 tabs open on pretty simple forum websites, nothing even with a flash application. I get the pinwheel all the time, and half th time I get it, it results in a crash.

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would agree that Safari 4 doesn't seem to be as stable as it should be. I haven't had specific crashes in Safari, but plenty with Flash though. With Safari, I seem to see much more spinning "beach ball" cursors than I would expect...

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I haven't had a single crash in Safari 4. Try installing ClickToFlash and go to the sites that normally crash on you.

I went to the two sites mentioned here (espn.com and http://datnewcudi.com) and didn't crash - I see they use Flash ...

But lostfan916 - you're having crashes with something called the Hear.plugin - this might help you http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=787954

On thinking about this ... it's likely that Hear (whatever it is) is 32 bit and you installed it in Leopard. But Safari in Snow Leopard is 64 bit and can't run 32 bit plugins.

21. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

I have the same problem. It is SO frustrating. I do use Firefox instead sometimes, but I don't like Firefox as much as Safari.

Safari 4.0.3, on TIGER. (10.4.11) (Please note -- NOT snow leopard.)

I have Clich To Flash, and all of my plugins, etc. have been updated.

What are these 'crash reports,' and where do I find them, and how do I decipher them? I'd be happy to post a screen shot.

Help?

:confused: