Is it just me or was windows slightly faster?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kronie, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

This is my first mac. I love it. I've had it for a few days. Among others stuff, I installed a handful of CS3 and office programs on it.

Is it me or does Windows open and operate these programs slightly faster?

It seems like Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Word, Excell, Programs I used to use on a same spec. Windows laptop were slightly faster? I see a lot of those Mac rainbow circles spinning around, waiting for the program to catch up. Is that normal?

Its not all slow. Photoshop seems faster. Acrobat creates a PDF lightening fast, way faster than M$. Word saves files much quicker, but opens slower than PC. Some are quicker some are slower?

I guess I'm worried my CS3 master install somehow slowed my new laptop down. Possible?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The spinning ball is usually a hardware issue.

When you launch an app for the first time, OS X has to load resources for that app (if they're not already in mem). If you quit and relaunch, the relaunch should go faster unless it's been sufficient time that those resources have also been released.

Can't help you much with CS3. Shouldn't be too taxing.

3. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

This is probably not comparable. But on a Core Duo 1.83 Mini with XP and Leopard (1GB RAM) Word 2003 (Windows) loads in about 2 seconds, Word 2008 (OS X) loads in about 10. It probably isn't comparable since they are different versions, but I'm not sure the discrepancy should be that large.

Then again, maybe it should be. Leopard is a much more modern OS than XP, and demands better hardware. XP came out in what... 2001? A 1Ghz Athlon T-Bird with 512Megs of RAM was a pretty awesome machine back then, and a 700Mhz PIII with 256MB of RAM was probably much more common.

4. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I think its the botched CS3 install. Acrobat's keeps freezing so something must be up. I will just reinstall and use time machine to just before CS3.