Is it just me or would a sapphire screen change nothing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spazma7ik, Sep 28, 2014.

1. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I mean, majority of scratches people see on their iPhones nowadays are scratches on the oleophobic coating, which I assure you would still be used with a sapphire screen. What's the point?

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Wouldn't change anything for me.

Even if it were sapphire I still would have a screen protector on.

3. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

What's the point of the coating if you cover it up?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

This may be true, or it may not be, but I'm doubtful you have any evidence to substantiate it.

IMO, the sapphire glass would make a huge difference.

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'd say it's put on to complete the great look of the iPhone (by not having a smeared screen with a bunch of fingerprints) so that customers somehow get warm fuzzy feelings about how nice the phone looks. Then, by the time it wears off and the screen starts to look like a fingerprint mess, the 14 - 30 day return policy is gone.

I'm a paranoid cynic though I fully admit ;)

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's not just about scratches, it's about shattered screens..

7. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Scratches are a major issue.

And also the durability of Sapphire.

It would have been nice to get Sapphire on the iphone. 6S upgrade I guess.

8. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I can't see sapphire being used on a display, it would shatter much easier. I've seen the home button and camera lens crack in drop test, keep in mind that those are very small areas and dont even get the direct impact of the drop.

9. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

This may be true, or it may not be, but I'm doubtful you have any evidence to substantiate it.

[​IMG]

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah, very true, but also why I prefaced it with "IMO" instead of stating it as fact. : )

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If Apple could get over their Napoleon complex with thickness.

Sapphire panel laminated to a panel of ion-strengthened/Gorilla glass could be fantastic.

12. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

This is the part that most people don't seem to know about. A sapphire screen would be more scratch resistant than a glass screen, but on the other hand it would crack easier. Sapphire is also more reflective than glass.

"-Sapphire is more brittle than glass," Raymond Soneira, president of DisplayMate Technologies told Business Insider. "And I would think sapphire might be more prone to breakage than [Corning] Gorilla Glass."

"Another fun fact about sapphire: it's more reflective than glass, which means it'll be difficult to see your phone's screen in sunny or bright conditions, according to Soneira.

"A sapphire screen will reflect almost twice as much light as ordinary glass," he said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sapphire-glass-iphone-6-screen-2014-8

13. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

And probably why the OP started with "Is it just me, or..." and asked a question rather than stating a dogmatic conclusion. [​IMG]

14. 1968 macrumors regular

As a watch collector, the first thing I thought of when I heard Apple was building a sapphire plant last year was Apple Watch.

Now that the watch has been announced and has been shown to have a sapphire crystal, why do people keep assuming the iPhone will ever get one?

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

See, that doesn't fly with Apple though. They've so often flown in the face of traditional logic and constraints, and said "No, we don't accept that." To believe that sapphire is less than ideal simply because traditionally used sapphire as we know it and as it's used today is less than ideal, is to not understand Apple as a company, I think, and how they've completely changed how things are done and what is(n't) possible from manufacturing and engineering standpoint

----------

Picking nits now: While that's indeed true, I also know that even though I'm from the south, saying, "God bless her, but..." doesn't excuse or sterilize any nasty thing I say about a person thereafter.

In that same line of thinking, the title of the thread seemed to be a self-contained question concerning the null ramifications of using a sapphire screen, while the comments within the post seemed to be presented as facts to support his question.

Maybe I need a break from MR....:(

16. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

I don't have an issue increasing device thickness, but I would have an issue with increasing glass thickness. One of the best qualities of the display on the 6/+ is the fact that everything really feels like it's on the surface. Increasing the glass thickness would be a big downgrade IMO.

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

and sapphire is more prone to shattering :rolleyes:

Keep the glass as-is to avoid any further mark-ups on the phone.

18. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Oleophobic screen protectors.

19. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Sure, but why didn't they use sapphire for the 6/6+ then? Whereas they are using it on the watch, where scratch-resistance is probably more important than flexibility.

Anyway, the glass on the 6/6+ seems pretty damn tough as is, at least judging by MKBHD's video. He bends it totally out of shape and stabs it repeatedly with a huge knife without the glass even breaking a sweat. I'd say Apple did a fine job on the glass for the 6/6+, whatever it's name happens to be.

20. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

IMO = In my opinion.

----------

Yielding a 4.7" and 5.5" sapphire screen is different / more complex than the smaller screen size on the watch.

21. deviant macrumors 65816

I don't know about good job. Shatters too easily. But hey, it's thinner than your hair! 6 seems to have a thinner glass than the 6+. I played with both and on the 6 it seems like it's printed and you're really touching the screen, not glass. The effect is amazing.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Reports were that they were trying to use it for the iPhone 6's and missed the manufacturing deadline by only a few weeks.

Glad to hear that the ion-strengthening is working out. :D

23. Bhs1975 macrumors 6502

Seriously?

24. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

An anti-reflective coating on the underside of the glass will help eliminate that altogether. It is done on fine swiss watches and works very well, it's as if the sapphire disappears. Also, the oleophobic coating may not even be necessary on the sapphire as it is pretty slick as it is, it's not like running your finger on regular glass, it almost feels like it is coated as it is.

25. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Well, I guess we'll see when the next iteration of the iPhone comes out. I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject anyway, was just offering a tidbit of info that I had found elsewhere :)