Is it just me or...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JMC08, Sep 16, 2011.

1. JMC08 macrumors regular

Is it just me or does it seem to take too long of a time for your SMS messages to send?

It feels like the progress bar and the slight pause before it reaches the end is so 2005. Do other phones send texts quicker? Since texts have such little data tied to them, I'd think it would be close to instant nowadays

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Hmm mine has been doing that a lot lately too... it never used too...

And I keep getting the annoying your not connected data message thing when the text message app is open... this has always been the case and its annoying as hell..

3. andy.barron macrumors 6502

4. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Possible downsizing of SMS due to iMessage and other data messengers?

5. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Do you guys have the character count enabled? If your text goes over 160 characters it'll turn into a two-page text, which takes roughly twice as long to send (of course). I'm not sure if there's a limit with the iPhone, but the more pages your text has, the longer it'll take.

Note that the delay from the extra pages occurs when the progress bar is pausing near the end, making it a pretty inaccurate measure of progress for long texts.

----------

That irritating pop-up seems to have disappeared in iOS 5, as far as I can tell. I've been using the betas for weeks now and I've never seen it (whereas I used to get it a lot with iOS 4). :p

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

it happens with 1 line texts also.... He does have a valid point

7. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Hmm... Well, again talking from personal experience, I've found that single-page texts are always fast, apart from when signal is particularly poor.

As I mentioned before, this is with iOS 5 as well. iMessage seems to vary a lot more, although generally is at a comparable speed to SMS.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

At least you can send more than one at a time now. The original iPhone models would not allow you to send additional text messages before the first one finished without updating the OS.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The speed of sending SMS and MMS is determined by the iPhone's signal and the carrier's cell tower capacity.

10. andy.barron macrumors 6502

would be so much better if it could be switched to use wifi.....

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Well, iMessage uses any data connection. It'll be awesome when iOS 5 is released and all the iOS people are using it.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

But SMS/MMS over WiFi is not part of the standard.

13. andy.barron macrumors 6502

I know, which is why it would be better if it was........

14. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Is it just me or shouldn't you give a thread a relevant title which indicates the subject? As per MR rules that is.

15. sdawgisinthebui macrumors member

It can't be done on any phone because of how SMS works. If you go look at wikipedia it says that it is not over 3G and it is over basic call only networks. While it is slower it still can be done. For SMS speed I have a motorola Droid X and it doesn't take that long to send a text, only like a second or two I think, but how long does it take you?

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Thus, sending SMS/MMS over WiFi isn't part if the standard. The speed of sending a SMS doesn't have to do with what phone a person has. It can be a dumb Nokoa thing, the Droid Terminator, or the iPhone 7; the slowdown is caused by the carrier.