Is it just me?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Sankel, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sankel macrumors member

I have many, many problems with Mavericks. Almost every thing crashes. Chrome and Safari, VLC, Photoshop & Illustrator even Activity Window.

Not mention to say that in my activity window around 5-10 processes are not working or not responding (like Pepperflash (chrome), Chrome self, Safari Flashplugin)

Am I the only one with this?

2. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

I would suggest doing a fresh install of Mavericks. Erase the Hard drive and re-install. I know it's a pain, but it really is the best way to install a new OS.

3. Fontane macrumors regular

I've been having a lot of issues as well. I bought a brand new rMBP and while I love the hardware, Mavericks is extremely buggy for me. Programs keeps crashing, the OS locks up every time I try to wake from sleep (with filevault 2 enabled), etc. I hope Apple fixes things soon.

Between Mavericks and iOS 7, Apple sure is making some shoddy software lately.

4. Sankel thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about that too.. But I Have an 3TB Fusion Drive, with bootcamp windows. And the point is, that was not an apple-made bootcamp partition. Will this not harm my Windows partition?

5. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

6. caioferrari macrumors newbie

Try to repair the permissions.

I heard a lot of issues about memory usage. Mavericks seems to be eating more memory than it's predecessors (memory compression, where are u?), but nothing about crashes.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It's not eating more memory. It's using available memory more effectively. As long as you are not getting page outs, you are fine.

8. caioferrari macrumors newbie

Are you sure?
    This topic at Apple Discussion I heard a lot of problems about memory usage https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5470580?start=0&tstart=0

At another forum, users made a lot of benchmarks (geekbench) with snow and mavericks and the latest system had some lower (just a little, but lower at all cases) results associated with memory.

9. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Correct. People are still needing the time to understand this point.

Mavericks seems to be a lighter-weight OS overall than any previous versions before it.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It all goes back to the old axiom, free memory is wasted memory. Mavericks' memory management has changed, and changed for the better.

11. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes.

12. caioferrari macrumors newbie

13. Sankel thread starter macrumors member

I use 2 iMacs 27" @ 2.9ghz & 3,4Ghz both 8gb rams. And both are crashing, very very often.

The most crashing application, also the most used by me is Photoshop. I've also the Pepperflash plugin disabled, any hope that it will improve.. No.

Are there any solutions? Resetting permissions?

14. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

The only thing I notice on my iMac are occasional beach balls and program/keyboard snags or delays.

But, this will be the last time I ever install a X.0 update. Ever.

15. caioferrari macrumors newbie

The question is I've seen some people getting the "Low Memory" warning for the fist time ever. It's not too frequent but it's the kind of waring that we don't expect to see on 10.9 due to the improvements on memory stuff.

Do you have some explanation about that? I just saw that at Apple discussion and I came back here to ask.

16. Internaut macrumors 6502a

It seems to vary, with few problems being common to everyone. I don't regret upgrading (everything's that little bit smoother and, unbelievably, Safari has usurped Chrome as my favourite browser on the Mac) as, fortunately, my problems are fairly small.

17. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I haven't seen this yet. I'll have to search around and see what is happening to the people who have encountered it.

18. Sankel thread starter macrumors member

With Pepperflash disabled in Chrome (via chrome://plugins) it looks a bit better. He stills give me many beach balls, but 'almost' no crashes..

19. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Mavericks has been very stable here. My only problem is a very slow iTunes, and I also have non-working USB3 and sleep mode in bootcamp (Windows 8.1).

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

That has nothing to do with Mavericks. Try reinstalling bootcamp drivers in Windows.

21. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Already tried that unfortunately..

22. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

In my recent experience, many apps crashing can be caused by ONE app. After upgrading to Mavericks, I was frustrated in the beginning, because many apps crashed, and within 5-10 minutes of boot, the entire OS went unresponsive. Argh! Everything was fine in Mountain Lion. But it turned out, it was my streaming server app Emit, that caused all the havoc. Incompatible with Mavericks, at the time.

After removing Emit, the OS was stable and FLYING! :p Emit has since been updated, and is compatible with Mavericks.

So, I guess, when upgrading from a previous OS X, there can be problems if you have many apps starting up. MAYBE something is incompatible. Of course, this can also be solved by installing Mavericks Fresh.

My 2 cents.. :)