Is it just the times?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rtabdo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. rtabdo macrumors 6502

I've been following MacRumors for a while now, but not really the forums. I recently joined the forums and I notice a lot of people who don't like Apple or just have more negative things to say.

Is this something thats has always been around? Or is this relatively new? For example, you hear a lot of people complaining about iPhone and iPhone OS and now the iPad. I'm wondering if the same thing was going on during the debut of iPhone for the "lack of keyboard" or when the Macbook Air came out for "lack of cd rom"

I dunno if it's just me, but seems like the Steve Jobs/Apple "hate" has noticeably grown.

2. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

It's just in people's nature to complain. It's nothing new.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think it has always been like this ... there have always been people here that are either just negative about products or trolling. I just ignore them.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I suppose as more and more people buy Mac products and come to these forums, so will more and more negative people.

5. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

The most hard-core fans complain the loudest. And about the most irrelevant things, too. It's really strange, but is most definitely true from what I've seen on Internet forums.

6. rtabdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I mean people are going nuts over this new developer agreement stuff with the iPhone 4.0 and it just seems like the Apple "hate" has grown larger than ever.

I think part of it has to do with Apple being on top. It's somewhat normal to see the top company get criticized the most.

Anyways, fill me in guys. Is this "hate" normal? Or are we seeing more of it these days?

7. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

It's a compliment. Not too many people hated Apple in 1997.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't see much hate; bitching, yes, but not hate. Bitching is normal.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    The more popular the site becomes the more trolls and crybabys we get :D

10. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

the only people who hate on apple are those who cant get an apple product

11. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

First time on the internet? I kid. I kid.

There will always be people who don't like something just because it's popular, and in my opinion there will always be people who like a thing waaayyyyy too much. I don't contend with the haters, but some people do need to be reminded, "It's just a computer. It's just a phone. They are here for us, not us for them. Let's get on with it."
    This sort of thing might be worse than the 'haters' to be honest with you.

12. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

let me clarify: i dont mean they cant afford one, i mean it in a more "they already have something they THINK is better than an apple product and are too stubborn to get one" kind of way

13. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

It has definitely gotten worse since I first starting reading this site years ago. Some reasons have already been given (Apple is more popular, so it attracts more trolls), but another reason is the astroturfing efforts by Microsoft. Several years ago, losing badly in online public opinion, Microsoft took their astroturfing efforts and unleashed them online.

So for example on Slashdot, a bunch of new users showed up and started modding down the anti-Microsoft talk. On a site where the icon for Bill Gates shows him as a Borg, this is quite a shift! But the Microsoft hordes took over and changed the tone.

I noticed that with the success of the iPod, when the Zune came out there were an amazing number of Zune lovers on this site. With the new iPad, there are a bunch of Slate fans here. Etc.

It's all over the Net, but you see it here on MacRumors too.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Part of the difference is that the iPhone is now owned by millions of people who are new to Apple and its sometimes frustratingly secretive and arbitrary decisions.

In other words, they're having normal customer reactions to the strange corporate behavior that Apple fans have either ignored or put up with for years. Jobs' RDF is more transparent to them.

Now, the overall increase in rudeness and lack of spelling ability on the internet is a different topic.

15. Hawke macrumors regular

welcome to MR

Do like me... sit.. have a beer and lol at the bitching

16. aliahlewis macrumors newbie

I think all this things are happening just because of human nature. As if a thing has 99 good qualities and only 1 bad quality then people will forget that 99 quality and say that thing is bad because of it's one bad quality. I think that's what people are doing with iPad and that's mostly because iPad is Apple's product. And it's a big brand and people used to find problems in big brand easily.