Is it likely for the iPhone 6 to come instead of 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not likely. History tends to tell solid stories when it comes to the iPhone.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

There will likely be a new phone in the fall.
    Whether its called 5S or 6, its bound to look like the iPhone 5 with upgraded insides. (speculation, but its unlikely for apple to develop a whole new design every year).
    There is also speculation for a cheaper model iPhone, but the naming could be anything, it wont necessarily have to follow any numbering system of the current iPhone line.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

This again? Look at history. Look at all the existing threads where people assumed that the follow-on to the 4s would be the 6. And consider your source. Nothing in what you linked provides any confirmation. Why would you assume that a rumor you ran across was fact?

5. maxosx macrumors 68020

Apple has been resting on it's laurels for so long, that no matter when iPhone 6 appears, for many of us it's a non starter. Recent rumors of a 4.3" display on either it or the iPhone 5S continue to reveal one of two possibilities.

1) Apple is unable to overcome it's fear of spacious displays.

2) They wouldn't admit people enjoy and want them, no matter what's said about it.

I give Apple a lot of credit, once they dig in their heels, they're worse than a two year old throwing a tantrum :D

6. cynics macrumors G3

While not impossible Apple makes serious $$$ by using a lot of the previous years parts. The don't need to retool machines, new machines, more training, new materials, etc.

If the iPhone 5 would have had poor sales then maybe but it didn't so its unlikely.

I'm looking forward to an upgraded 5. If, however unlikely a redesign comes out in the form of the 6 then I'll be even more excited. My 4S has about had it though so regardless I'm getting another iPhone.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

How do you know?:eek:

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3GS, S for speed

4S, S for Siri

5S, S for Security (fingerprint biometric identification)

9. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

you should be aware of the iPhone product cycle by now

10. Dun Properly macrumors member

You know how sometimes TV shows can move time much more slowly than compared to the "real world", so they advance the plot by starting a new season with a relatively large flash forward in time?

Well...apple should do that with the iphone.

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

History, Apple has released a new phone every year, its likely to continue. Especially since the parts for the new phone are leaking out already.

June 29, 2007 - iPhone
    July 11, 2008 - iPhone 3G
    June 19, 2009 - iPhone 3GS
    June 24, 2010 - iPhone 4
    October 14, 2011 - iPhone 4S
    September 21, 2012 - iPhone 5

12. cynics macrumors G3

Was this ever confirmed? Seems like something that just sorta worked.

Proof of that is the S for security. We don't know if it will have a fingerprint scanner. God I hope something that dumb isn't Apples ace in the hole!

13. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

It will be the same phone either way. They will name it as they please.

14. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

It will be called iPhone 7 because it's the 7th iPhone they will release.

/sarcasm

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Most likely it will be the 5S that is released in the fall.

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

First two confirmed.

Third I made up.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

We get that question every other year. Is it likely that iPhone 4 will come instead 3GS, iPhone 5 instead of 4S, etc. Trust history on this one. Besides, slapping on an S allows Apple to sell an a$$load of iPhone with very little changed every other year. They'll have no problem doing that again this year with the release of fresh looking iOS.

18. alphabetagaga macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

apple seriously have to change things up on the next release rather than sticking with the same old boring 's' formula 'update'. apple need that wow factor back again. the 5 was not that and a 5s is not that.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They already got that with iOS 7, to standing ovation too!

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

They're almost as predictable as your post. Shock.

21. darster Suspended

The progression from 3, to 3GS to 4 to 4S to 5 are of the old regime. Jobs is dead. Ivy has emerged as the new genius behind the iPhone. The 6 is probably his baby and may be what comes out later this year. His imprint is on ios7. Why not come out with a great NEW phone encompassing his vision.

22. zipster macrumors 6502

Yeesh. The wait for the 4S after the 4 was such a trying time around here. Especially because we didn't know if the 'S' moniker was going to continue. And then the letdown once the 4S was announced. But it actually ended up being Apple's best phone.

----------

I truly hope this is the case. The iPhone 5 design is stale and didn't really improve on the 4/4s.

23. alphabetagaga macrumors regular

alphabetagaga

great so apple give us a fresh new look with ios7. who cares? doesn't make the smartphone that is the iphone any 'smarter' does it. where are the exciting new features and innovation?

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'm sure they'll give the 5S a few key features, as they always do for "S" type updates (speed, Siri, fingerprint sensor, etc.). The iOS7 will be there to keep it looking fresh until the next major update (iPhone 6).

Also, what makes a smartphone smart is how it's implemented (typically in the OS). Someone handed me his S4 the other day to show me something and it accidentally detected my hands to activate the Air Gestures. Not too smart.

25. dvoros macrumors 6502

iPhone 6 vs. 5s

NO, Apple will release the same design, so last years model, boring, iPhone 5s. What do you think? They are not that innovative.