Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Last night I decided to try out 3.1 B3 even though I thought it wouldn't work since I wasn't a developer. I downloaded the OS from another thread on this forum and IT WORKED. I thought I would need a developer code for it to activate but it didn't. So then I remembered tethering got disabled. Well, I still have the tethering option in my network settings. Is this just a fluke for my iPhone?

Vonswanko

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Well, I still have the tethering option in my network settings. Is this just a fluke for my iPhone?

The option will still be there till you try to tether...then it'll go away. Give it a try.

As far as the beta working...has your phone's UDID ever been registered with a developers account?

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
The option will still be there till you try to tether...then it'll go away. Give it a try.

As far as the beta working...has your phone's UDID ever been registered with a developers account?

haha you're right, but as for the UDID, no I don't ever remember getting registered with a developer account.

Vonswanko

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
If you never gave your UDID, then that is weird that it would work. Bummer about the tethering though.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Last night I decided to try out 3.1 B3 even though I thought it wouldn't work since I wasn't a developer. I downloaded the OS from another thread on this forum and IT WORKED. I thought I would need a developer code for it to activate but it didn't. So then I remembered tethering got disabled. Well, I still have the tethering option in my network settings. Is this just a fluke for my iPhone?

"I downloaded the OS from another thread on this forum and IT WORKED" can you provide the link to that thread? We can test it.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
My goal is not to find a source for the file, but to test it. If in fact the copy that he has, is working, it could be the GM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.