Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
Should I get the 13, 15 or 17?
MBA or MBP?
Should I get the 2011 MBP or wait for the 2012?
Should I keep SL or upgrade to Lion?

Seriously folks, do your research and YOU decide how to spend your 1k-2.5k based on your needs. I just joined about a week ago and already see these threads several times a day.

/end rant

Otherwise, great forum!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
ha!

If you had been here in June 2010 you would have known to get a 32GB iPhone 4.

I kid, I kid lol

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
wouldn't asking a forum full of mac users count as research when trying to make a decision about which mac to buy?

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
MBA or MBP?

Seriously folks, do your research and YOU decide how to spend your 1k-2.5k based on your needs. I just joined about a week ago and already see these threads several times a day.

/end rant

Otherwise, great forum!

Did you read a lot of these threads? If so, is the i7 worth it or should I get the i5 in my MBA? :D just kidding.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
MBA or MBP?

/end rant

Otherwise, great forum!

Welcome to the Interwebs, where a few people try to *mostly* have real discussion, and lots of people just want validation or to say, 'me, too!1!!!!!' ;) Besides, search is for people that can read, without ADD, and is obviously highly over-rated, anyways. :D

I can't wait for the next updates. :)

PS - Me too. :)

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Those threads really irk me too!

But, my first post on the forums was the same thing.

So, I guess it is kind of a right of passage :)

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Most of those threads fade after a day or two anyways... And nobody ever reads sticky threads either, so there's really no solution to this...

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
^I talked with a friend about this and I definitely found on.e

Make all members take a test every month that questioned them on the ToS and little things like. if you fail, you can't post until you pass the test.

I would love to see that happen.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
MBA or MBP?

/end rant

Otherwise, great forum!

More:
Should I get the high-res screen or normal?
Should I get the antiglare or glossy?
Should I go 2.3Ghz?
Which RAM is right for me?
Is the 13" good enough?

While they're at it, they might as well ask:
Is the MBP made of aluminum?
Is the MBP screen made of glass?
Is the trackpad multi-touch?

What most people who post these threads fail to recognize is that only they know what they need exactly, and they should get whatever they want, regardless of other people's opinions, because obviously we commenters are not them.
What they also fail to recognize is that on the top right of their browsers, there's a little white box that says "Google". Or that this website exists.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
My iphone's screens all yellow. It's cus it's a 16GB right??

:eek::eek::eek:

Joking aside. While it does get somewhat annoying that people have the same threads, what gives the first person the right to make a thread and the last person not to? :rolleyes:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Those threads really irk me too!

But, my first post on the forums was the same thing.

So, I guess it is kind of a right of passage :)

Mine almost. I came to this forum two days before buying my first iPhone. Oddly enough, my first post wasn't asking what to buy, it was asking how to add cities to the weather app being a new Mac user and all. A week later, my third thread was on what Mac to buy. I bought a MBP one week after buying my first iPhone. 2007 was a fun year. :)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I totally understand the criticism. I think some of us go to the Apple store (they started saying "welcome home" to me after a while because I spent so much time there staring at the MBPs and MBAs). We also search the forums. But, we still have doubts.

In my case, it was fairly simple. I had certain tasks I wanted the computer to perform, and there was no way for me to tell how well it would work. I simply didn't have enough experience with Macs (mainly a Windows user) or Sandy Bridge to evaluate the potential.

Thanks to the wonderful help provided on these forums (one member even kindly performed several tests with his computer to give me some rough benchmarks) I was able to make a decision with some degree of confidence.

In my opinion, as long as the poster does their due diligence (google, visiting store if possible, searching forums) and gives us something to work with (info about what they want to do with the computer) I have no complaints about any posts asking what to buy.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
It is just you. 80% of the threads here are:

1) Heat
2) Best SSD
3) Best RAM
4) I spilled (insert beverage of choice here) on my MBP what should I do now.

So many people do not bother to search. I managed to upgrade my ram, select and install my SSD/Optibay before I even joined the forums just by searching and reading past questions and answers. But no, for many it is easier to just start a new thread asking the same old question.

Smork

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Someone just needs to make a sticky thread with all of the advantages and a general FAQ regarding the average question. This would stop a good amount of these threads.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
It is just you. 80% of the threads here are:

1) Heat
2) Best SSD
3) Best RAM
4) I spilled (insert beverage of choice here) on my MBP what should I do now.

So many people do not bother to search. I managed to upgrade my ram, select and install my SSD/Optibay before I even joined the forums just by searching and reading past questions and answers. But no, for many it is easier to just start a new thread asking the same old question.

#4 is the most common and I do not understand how!!! Just be careful and don't spill stuff :eek::eek::eek:

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Someone just needs to make a sticky thread with all of the advantages and a general FAQ regarding the average question. This would stop a good amount of these threads.

It annoys the crap out of me and yet I keep coming back to this sub-forum.

• There are guides on the website, but people don't look for them.
  • Long-registered members post links to answer their questions, but people don't read the links.
  • Someone made a thread aiming to sticky answers to common questions, but people still made new threads while that post was still on the first page.
  • Every week someone spills crap on their Mac; preferring to post on a forum, waiting for the answer they like most instead of taking the best advice and they still do it on the Mac they spilled their drink on.
  • People still complain about overheating, because their notebook gets too hot for their laps.
  • Very little has changed since last Wednesday to necessitate a new 'which SSD/RAM?' thread, but people still think they could be missing out on the latest and greatest to hit the bargain bin.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
If you had visited in late 2009, most of the threads would have been about the Arrandale processor.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It annoys the crap out of me and yet I keep coming back to this sub-forum.

• There are guides on the website, but people don't look for them.
  • Long-registered members post links to answer their questions, but people don't read the links.
  • Someone made a thread aiming to sticky answers to common questions, but people still made new threads while that post was still on the first page.
  • Every week someone spills crap on their Mac; preferring to post on a forum, waiting for the answer they like most instead of taking the best advice and they still do it on the Mac they spilled their drink on.
  • People still complain about overheating, because their notebook gets too hot for their laps.
  • Very little has changed since last Wednesday to necessitate a new 'which SSD/RAM?' thread, but people still think they could be missing out on the latest and greatest to hit the bargain bin.

I was that someone, and got laughed at, so I dropped the ball and let the thread die.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.