iPad Is it me or are the Airs speakers really really good?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Misskitty, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

I give it a 9/10. Only bad thing is that the speakers are muffled when you have a hand over it cause of the placement, but thats not a knock on the speaker quality at all. At full volume, theres no distortion but you can feel the ipad vibrate. So I give it a 9/10. Best speakers ive heard from any tablet. The rmini speakers are beyond terrible, even worse than mini.

For air owners, what would you give out of 10?

2. lolwatpear macrumors member

It's just you. Try listening to the kindle HDX speakers and get back to me. Stereo speakers in portrait is stupid.

3. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I currently own an iPad Air and iPad rMini. The Air I'd give a 7/10 for sound quality, knocking some points off for not being in true stereo when in landscape mode. The rMini only gets 5/10 because on full it is about 75% as loud as the Air on full.

For comparison sake, I'd give the Nexus 7 (2013) speakers a 8/10 with the main knock against them that when around 25% loud they start to hiss, but do have very good sound and I like the placement of them. When you hold the tablet in landscape there is true stereo sound and your hands can cup the sound to make it louder and more pronounced.

The best score I'd give for a tablet would be for the Blackberry Playbook, probably an 9/10 because they were on front of the tablet on left and right in landscape and damn they sounded good!

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have been pleased with the speakers. Sound has been clear and strong.

5. THE BG 86 macrumors regular

Yes, the kindle fire speakers are amazing.

6. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

I honestly don't think they are that great, but good

7. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

They are superb for beeps and buzzes from notification, or dumpy youtube videos. It can go back to a crappier mono speaker for all I care.

Music/TV/Movies is going to be airplayed or headphones.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I was surprised at how much the device vibrates when the volume is up high. It made me wonder... would it be possible to play sounds outside the normal human frequency range which would cause the device to vibrate but be inaudible?

So, in effect, a 'fake' force feedback.

9. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

+1

Speakers are ok for casual use, but I run through my Def Tech XTR when it counts...

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Parrot Zik and you will never own another!

11. Havok83 macrumors regular

I like the speakers but really wish there was one on the top and bottom bc depending on how its held, it tends to get covered

12. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

The built in speakers are great considering size but
    I just keep ear buds on the table next to my chair and across the room I have Jambox by Jawbone.

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Me too, especially compared to my iPad 2 which honestly had pretty weak and useless sound for anything other than super casual listening and viewing.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Hang on let me go get my imaginary iPad air to see how the quality is. Yup sounds good.
    Yeah sorry I've never herd a sound from an iPad air cuz when I go in the apple store after it launched I wasn't really testing the sound just didn't think of it.

15. dmunz macrumors regular

This.

Silly Apple...

FWIW
    DLM

16. ihatephish macrumors regular

Yes, because when you seek superb audio quality you use tablet speakers.

LOL.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Superb? No.

Most are seeking adequate.

18. Omega1300 macrumors member

I agree - I think they're quite good! Considering it's an iPad and not some high-end stereo speaker, I'd say like 8 out of 10? Totally satisfied personally.

19. ougum macrumors regular

I actually like the speakers on my Air better than the ones on my kindle fire hdx. Seem like more bass on the Air.