Is it me or has Siri's hearing been muted?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have a decent number of Homekit devices in my home and use Siri a lot to control them. Up until 11.1 (maybe 11.2) I'd speak "hey Siri blah, blah, blah," and she'd respond immediately. In 11.3 it's like she's become a 95 year old and hard of hearing. I say "hey Siri," and crickets. I then yell it and maybe, maybe, she comes on.

Is this me or has Apple tweaked Siri? Wondering if with all the privacy/FB controversy, non-controversy, Apple intentionally made Siri hard of hearing so it could say Siri isn't listening to our conversations -- but then again that what Apple has always been saying. So I'm confused as why Siri is so hard to activate now. Happens on all my iOS devices -- iPhone X, iPad 12.9 (2017), iPad mini 4 (when plugged in, of course).

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I feel like it’s the opposite for me. Every time I say “Hey” to someone, Siri thinks I said “Hey Siri” and when I look at my phone, the entire sentence I just spoke is typed out in the Siri UI. It has been happening quite frequently.

3. TechThule macrumors newbie

TechThule

I'm glad to know Siri actually works for some people. It is rare that she understands something I dictate. Maybe it's because I have a deep voice, but she's useless in my experience

4. Toonartist macrumors regular

Teach her. If she gets it wrong tap the edit and correct what she thought you said to what was actually said. Next time she’ll get it right.

I found it works about 99% of the time but you have to help her out to begin with. I have a Geordie accent so it isn’t the easiest to follow but she manages :)

There was a couple of words that was driving my wife mad with her phone until I pointed out the edit bit!

5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Mine seems to listen for anything that sounds like Hey Siri (except for those actual word), and then proceed to not listen to a thing that follows.

6. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

In addition, you can also say,

“that’s not how you pronounce XXXXX“

And Siri will list a number of different pronunciations from which you can select the closest one.

7. ramses2005 macrumors member

try to reconfigure. sometimes when I update my devices, theres a bug or something because my Siri gets a reset and I have to reconfigure it again to work as you explained before.

8. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Enjoy limited siri success via airpods+iPhone 8
    No success at all via iPad Pro 10.5
    No success at all when listening to music via airpods in gym-have to use one hand to take iphone from pocket whilst excersising to wake siri yet not when I'm home when a double tap on AirPod immediatley wakes her.
    Fun limited success I guess

9. TechThule macrumors newbie

TechThule

Thanks for the advice and help. In my case it isn't a word or two, it's all a mess. More than I want to fool with.

10. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Silly me, after yet another failed attempt at waking siri in gym today.
    I've since found via Touch i.d. And Passcode -Allow access when locked- selected siri.
    Maybe my earlier reply wasn't quite valid at all.
    Only try Sunday next gym session.
    Can't wait to talk 50% or 75% volume, or STOP!!!as I've been getting weights training basics recently.