Is it me or iPhone's sync currently sux?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airfang, Mar 21, 2008.

1. airfang macrumors regular

I have had the iPhone since last November, yet today I just felt the urge to complain.

ok, I can live with the fact that I have to have a wired sync via iTunes...

but only with ONE computer? That's crap. It totally destroyed the purpose of syncing... biggest problem is, say if I lose my syncing computer or the harddrive fails, everything on the iPhone has to be erased in order to initiate a new sync? :confused:

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can copy your iTunes library and preference files to multiple computers. I keep my iTunes/iPhone info in sync on 3 different Macs.

3. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Whoa!

Be careful about complaining about Apple products.

It might get you banned from MacRumors for a week (the moderators are certainly against you saying anything negative about Apple, and also America's First Amendment - freedom of speech).

Please take a look at the forum rules.

Very, very strict rules here - you are only allowed to say positive stuff about Apple.

Trust me, I've been banned a few times for having my own opinion towards Apple (and I have owned Apple computers before this forum existed).

And this post, like all my others, will be removed in 3, 2, 1, ....

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I sync my iPhone with my desktop for both contacts and media. I also sync it with my notebook (contacts only). I've never had problems syncing with more than one computer. You just have to set your preferences correctly.

5. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm guessing you got banned for an entirely different reason...

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, you need to chill...

let the OP speak! You were probably banned for just this reason "going off topic!"

OP you just need to back up your iPhone on an external hard drive and you should have nothing to worry about. And as other posters have mentioned, you can sync your iTunes music and videos on other computers. :eek:

7. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

That's what Time Machine is for ;)

8. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

How do u do so exactly? A little hint would be nice

9. ToneMonkey macrumors member

Forgive the clueless newbie question...

Hey Darth. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm trying to research EXACTLY what the sync capabilities and limitations are for the iphone and cannot find it. I can only find info on the most basic sync implementations. I did uncover a blogger about a week ago trying to do what I need: sync iphone with Outlook at work; sync the same iphone with a mac at home. I forgot to bookmark the site and cannot find it. Jeez, here it is 2008 and I'm in worse shape than back in 1999 with a Kyocera SmartPhone (Palm device).

This blogger reported what I thought was perfectly rational application behavior: his work calender was imported into iCal as a separate calendar with the name of "Outlook." That will work perfectly fine for me. Anyone else know if this is the case?

Contacts are less of an issue for me, because I essentially drive everything off my mac address book - I would happily nuke my existing Outlook contacts on the first sync in order to have a unified address book on all three devices.

Anyone have any personal experiences they might want to share?

I went to the Apple store yesterday. I seemed to know more about syncing than the employees. First time THAT'S happened. I did bring home an Apple TV and couldn't be happier (but that's another thread).

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

you could have your itunes library located on a network hard drive and then all 3 computer have access to it. but i have to ask why would you sync your phone with multiple computers

11. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

If I had one gripe about my iphone, its the way its handcuffed to itunes. The whole music/video/photo syncing business is a giant PITA.

12. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

it's the whole purpose of syncing

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, the purpose of syncing is to keep your phone consistent with the state of your primary repository of data—music, movies, contacts, etc.—such that no matter where information is altered it's kept in a consistent state between the two devices.

14. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

as far as I know, syncing should have no limitations such as only between "two" devices

15. w00master macrumors 65816

So, I guess you don't have a work PC/Mac?

With music, I can understand why Apple would only want to have one computer to sync with. However, with photos, calendar, contacts, and bookmarks there is absolutely *NO* reason why we can't sync to multiple computers.

w00master

16. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

17. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

how about notes syncing they can add that for once?

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Use .mac to keep 2 computers in sync. And there obviously is a reason why you can't sync to multiple computers since, well, you can't. :)

19. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

I am not gonna pay a yearly subscription for a feature that is supposed to come with the hardware.

There obviously is NO reason that you can't sync to multiple computers. Almost all sync-able phones do that. I just don't understand why Apple don't.

I am a mac fan but I don't think that having to have work-arounds for certain feature is sth you guys appreciate.

Sure, you can go with "at least I don't need this feature" but there are other users out there. Wouldn't it be nice to have? Of course.

20. alFR macrumors 68020

Having done just that for a while with a Windows Mobile device, I can totally understand why they don't. Sync conflicts were a not quite but almost daily occurrence and I was forever sorting out duplicate contacts, appointments etc. Sync is, I think, one of the hardest things to get right and to make totally robust: just look how flakey .mac sync can be sometimes. I'd rather have what we have now and have better performance (7 months of usage and only 1 duplicate appointment and counting!).

21. SAFC2403 macrumors member

I'm not too bothered about syncing to two machines but i'd very much like to be able to play music off my iphone on more than 1 machine. My iphone is synced to my home PC and I would like the option to be able to play music off the iphone on my work laptop.

At present I can't do that unless someone knows another way.

22. joefinan macrumors 6502a

So true - the moderators are a little trigger-happy!

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That's never going to be possible.
    It makes it too easy to illegally share music. That's why you've never been able to upload content off your iPod.

Other than music and video, the iPhone can sync with two computers. Just uncheck music and video on one of the computers.
    Calendars and contacts are a two way street, so if everything starts in the same state on both computers, you could theoretically sync with both.

24. SAFC2403 macrumors member

I can understand that but what I can't accept is that it is possible with current ipods so why not the iphone?? All i want to do is be able to plug my iphone in and be able to play music both at home and at work. Surely thats not breaking the law?? must be in apple land:mad:

25. senorFunkyPants macrumors 6502

senorFunkyPants

I use a simple headphone jack to 2 din plug lead..plug one end into the back of the dock and the din plugs into my stereos "aux in".

For a non synced computer/laptop if it doesn't have din inputs could you not just use a simple headphone jack to headphone jack lead and plug it into your sound card?