Is it me or is Apple QC not trustable?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bogman12, Sep 26, 2007.

1. bogman12 macrumors regular

It seems to me that there is an awfully high rate of various issues/bugs with apple hardware products.

My first apple product was the MacBook c2d, purchased March of this year. My Macbook was plagued with the flickering LCD issue. I exchanged my 1st unit with a new one at the store and the problem still existed on the 2nd one. I ended up keeping it however..

Then my second Apple product was the dreaded W37 Ipod Touch. I ended up returning it.

I'm holding my breath that my new Touch coming from Target will not have any issues.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it did..

These experiences with Apple has effectively conditioned me to be cautious of all Apple products in the future. I don't ever remember feeling this way about any electronics that I've purchased.

Do others feel the same? Or do you see the Apple QC issues no different with other established name brands?

2. chrismball macrumors newbie

I do have to agree about their lack of good quality control. Both my Intel iMac and Macbook came with problems right out of the box. Luckily though Apple has good customer service compared to other computer brand companies I've delt with in the past.

Cosmetically, my apple machines still are a mess. I've only had the iMac a year and the plastic casing is slipping loose on one side, so it's lop-sided. And the Macbook, which is less than 4 months old, has some problems with the hinge, screen being a little uneven, and the keys being in awkward positions. It's probably a good thing Apple is gearing more towards alluminum casing.

3. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

With the exception of my iPhone, i have had problems with 1st Gen Apple products. I got the shuffle shortly after it was released and it broke very easily. I got the airport express early on and had problems off the bat as well.

I don't know the reason for these problems but there is an issue somewhere. At least Apple replaced the products I bought with no questions asked and now they all work fine!

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

It sounds like the OP got unlucky. 2/2 doesn't mean that all Apple products are bad. In fact, most of the people that I have talked to are yet to have a problem with an ipod, iphone, apple tv, or mac.

Although Apple does have a fairly high hardware failure rate for the industry, they have great customer service to make it up.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I see a lot of complaints here in the forums, but just about anytime I see a survey (like PC World or Consumer Reports), it usually shows Apple one of the top brands of machines that don't need repairs. But that's just notebooks and desktops, not iPods and Expresses.

Here's my track record. Issues noted with *.
    1 3G ??GB iPod
    3 G4 mac minis
    1 U2 iPod
    2 G4 15" PowerBooks (launch day) * one sent in for keyboard replacement
    2 1G 4GB iPod Nanos (launch day) * one DOA, replaced immediately w/o hassle
    1 CD 15" MacBook Pro ** replaced 2x and then refunded
    1 Intel mac mini
    1 UFO Airport Extreme
    1 CD MacBook * sent in for RSS issue
    1 5G 80GB iPod
    1 Airport Express
    2 C2D 15" MacBook Pros
    2 5.5G 80GB iPod
    1 AppleTV (launch day)
    1 802.11n Airport Extreme (launch day)
    3 8GB iPhones (launch day) * one replace 2x for screen issues

I'd prefer to have had a perfect track record, but I've been nothing less than totally impressed by how AppleCare's fixed stuff for me.

6. bogman12 thread starter macrumors regular

Should I buy Apple Care for my MacBook? I have to get it before the 1st year is up right?

Is the likelyhood of something needing to be repaired on my MB high after 1 year?

7. beer.coffee macrumors member

It's a laptop. Things are more likely to go wrong compared to a home computer. Get AppleCare!

8. thegrue macrumors member

Let's put it this way… I'm an Apple service tech, and I -always- get AppleCare on my portables and iPods. I usually get it on desktops.

Trust me, you don't want to know how much an out of warranty logic board replacement is on a MacBook. A few of my customers have had to find out, unfortunately.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

And if you ever eBay your old machine to help pay for a new machine, AppleCare can sometimes really make a good difference in how much your old machine sells for.