Is it me or is Apples computers are being targeted more at gamers???!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by MatLane, Mar 6, 2009.

1. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I just get the impression they are concentrating on gaming.

What are your thoughts?~

This is not bashing, just a thought

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's you. The iMac's cards are terrible and the Mac Pro is far beyond any gamer's budget.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

No Mac is aimed at Gaming. At All.

Funny you should say that Tallest, i was looking at building a Gaming PC for ~£600, but then i also want a Mac Pro, so was considering saving for the Mac Pro, i doubt i will, as then my MBP would be pretty much useless.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Pods are getting games, Macs? I dont think so. Anyone remember a game called Unreal Tournament 3? suppose to be out for mac in 07,then,08 now its 09.

5. The Hammer macrumors regular

Consensus is it's you.;)

6. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Where do you get this impression from anyway?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Radeon 4870 in the Mac Pro, probably. I'm looking forward to it. :D

8. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

the iMac's cards are NOT terrible outside of the low end 9400M.

Price:Value wise the iMac is not worth it for a gamer, but the GT120 isn't that bad. it's a rebranded 8600M GT, right? that's enough to run COD4 at great framerates.

I don't understand where tech folks get the idea that in order for a computer to be even considered for gaming it needs something of the 9800/4870 caliber. for an enthusiast i'd say the 9600M GT is "nice". anything above that is "nicer" or "ok now your serious".

Bottom line: i wouldn't tell anyone to get an iMac for gaming, but that doesn't mean it can't game.

answering the OP:

I wouldn't say they've started gearing to gamers as much as they aren't giving them the cold shoulder completely anymore. i think Apple has realized how big that market is, and as such isn't ignoring them as much.

9. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Fact is, the 8600 GT is considered to be a very very weak card. It wasn't even a great card when it came out (3% better than the 7600 GT, the card it was supposed to replace), and now it's almost 2 years old already! Technology has advanced quite a bit since then and there are better cards to buy for gamers. The 9600M GT is similar to the 8600 GT so I doubt there's much to be said.

The low end cards the average gamer these days on a desktop would be the 9600 GSO/9600 GT (take note that the desktop 9600 GT is twice as powerful as the mobile 9600M GT), or ATI's 4650/4670. Nvidia's 8800/9800/GTX 260 or ATI's 4830/4850/4870 would be considered middle-range these days.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

It's you. If they were targeted at gaming, they'd come with better graphics hardware AND Windows pre-installed.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple would go bankrupt, simply because that's an admission that the competitor is better.

No, if they cared about gaming, they'd come with "better" hardware and use some of their 30 billion to buy Transgaming, kill off Cider, and use their people to write games natively.

12. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

The arent aimed at gamers. If you get the iMac with the 4850 or Mac Pro with the '70 then yes, they are good gaming machines but you can buy a better, dedicated gaming rig for far less.

13. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with him though. Gaming on a Mac is almost non-existent.

14. Ol3s macrumors regular

Ol3s

I think they'll start working on gaming if about 30%ish computer users will be on mac (and thats unlikely to happen in the next 50 years)

15. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Apple gets to gaming when they announce Valve is porting their games to Mac.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Valve wanted $1,000,000 to do the porting and Apple said no.

Try again in five years, I guess.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

Macs will never be aimed at gaming.

If you want a gaming, build your own PC for $700 that will blow any $3,000 Mac Pro in gaming out of the water.

18. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

If they are targeting gamers, it is because they are trying to address the complaints that they've had for a long time.

But do I think they are? No they are not. But more graphics-capability is good for any reason.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Meh, I've played TF2 for hundreds of hours on an overclocked x1600. I hate these terms that fly about "gaming computer" etc. I mean my Macbook runs UT3 very well! Last time I checked UT3 and TF2 were games :D

But no. They're not targetting gamers.

20. The Red Wolf macrumors regular

The Red Wolf

Annoyances

An iMac with a 4850 and a 3.06 GHz processor and 8 GB ram would be a perfectly good rig. Yes, you could build one cheeper, but it's not as though it can't play games.

Apple released a single processor machine with a perfectly good card the 4870... Because it's no $749 all the people screaming for apple to make a non-work station desktop are still pissed off. For some reason everyone on this site won't be happy until there is a sub $1000 single processor, SLI/Crossfire, E-SATA, BlueRay rig. And even then they'll be all pissed off because it has 4 Firewire 3200 ports instead of 4 Firewire 800 ports. I'm annoyed to no end by the complaining.

If you want OS-X and you get either a 4850 or a 4870 in one configuration or another, yes you're paying a bit more than building one yourself, but it's still a Mac and there isn't a game it couldn't play.

If the MacPro had a GMA950 without PCI-E slots and was $7200.00 you'd have reason to complain and call it not capable of gaming... For now other than price, I truly think the excuses need to end.

21. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Not in the least bit. If anything, Apple is more anti-gaming now than they ever have been.

22. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Unfortunately, you need to spend at least $3000 (Australian $) to get a semi-decent graphics card (the 4850 in the iMac, which is actually a laptop card), or at least $5000 to get a Mac Pro with the 4870. The GT 120/130 chips are mid range cards of NVIDIA's previous generation of chips.

To get a decent graphics card in a Mac, you need to spend twice what you would on a Windows computer.

23. aluminumapple macrumors regular

if you Honestly think apple is targeted to Games you are either Really high or havent looked at any other computers.

you can build a desktop at half the cost of mac pro and be the best computer on earth.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The people here are such Mac-gaming-haters, you'd have no chance around here with comments like that.

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wrong. Best computer is never a "gaming rig". Games are considered low-end crap when you see what scientists do with computers. Even the best gaming rig would melt with really advanced simulations and computations. Macs aren't for gaming (waste of time imho, go read a book or play real games) but usually workstation class.