Is it me or is it iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ruffian829, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I am trying to "rent" a movie off of iTunes and it started out with 3 HOURS to download and just went up to 5!! Of course, had I known this ahead of time, I would not have bothered.
    I rented a movie last summer I remember and I remember being able to watch it very quickly- I'm guessing it took like 15 min to download then. What gives? My macbook is about a year and a half old (wow, I almost just wrote that it is under a year... I can't believe i've had it for this long already!) and I dont think that I've cluttered it up with stuff (I know on windows that would be a big factor - is that the same with a mac?)
    whyyyy is it going sooo slow to download this movie?? Could it be iTunes???

ps: I remember purchasing some TV shows a few months back and they downloaded very quickly, in minutes. When I subscribed to a TV series last week, they each took over an hour to download...
  2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Houston Texas USA
    It's all a matter of your internet speed. Are you sure you're not running some file sharing app in the background or something else that's using your internet bandwidth?

I just rented an HD flick on my Apple TV and it was ready to start watching in about two minutes.
  3. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Server trouble on Apple's side or maybe your ISP has throttled some ports?
  4. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    I dont have any file sharing programs... I restarted my laptop and its gone up to 20 hours and it keeps going up...
    the only real thing I can think of is that I put those tv shows on my computer recently - maybe they've took up too much room (how can I tell how much space I have??)
    BUT the internet for EVERYTHING else is working fine, not slow at all.
    I'm on a cable modem I'm not sure the exact speed or anything but its not like I have dial-up or DLS.
    34 hours now... this is redic.
    I'm not sure what you mean by my ISP has throttled some ports??
  5. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    After some googling it seems that this is a much complained of problem
    with iTunes- shame on apple for not doing anything about this and not providing fair notice that a movie dl could likely take a day!! I know it's only like three dollars but I am so going to fight for a refund.
    Really, really dissapointed in apple right now!
  6. mcruzader macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2008
  7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You won't need to fight probably. Every time I've reported a problem with a purchase or rental they've refunded me no questions asked. I reported an issue with one track on an album once and they refunded the entire album.

Just FYI
  8. chipandtoast macrumors member

Nov 14, 2009
    If you're running windows on your macbook maybe it got a virus?
    Is anything else slow?
  9. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 17, 2008
    No I don't run windows and nothing else is slow at all. The rest of the Internet seems to be running fine and a normal speed. Like I said after googling there seems to be a fair amount of complaints of the same thing happening all where people were on fast internets with nothing else
    causing a problem. To be honest I was surprised whenthe tv episodes were taking two-four hours to download but I just ignored it as I did not need them instantly.
    I don't have any file sharing programs, and very little 3party apps and the ones that I have are like Circus Ponies Notebook, Omni graffle, screniver, etc - I do not download anything that would be suspect.
    I paused and restartes the dl and restartes my laptop when it went to over 20 hours I canceled the download. I ended up going out and just purchasing the movie so I could watch it. Oh well
    I'll check my Internet speed via that link when I can- I'm away for the weekend now until Tuesday with NO internet (and only E network on my iPhone, it's a tough life lol ;-)) but I can assure u that we have cable Internet, nothing can explain 20+ hours to download other than dial-up! I checked apple's download speed thing on their website and they said that even on the slowest broadband it would take 4-5 hours and that you cannot dl movies on dial-up. There is no way around the fact that the speeds don't make sense and I'm getting the impression it's on apple's side.