Is it me or is Power Support over hyped

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by daneoni, Aug 6, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I just bought the Power Support Crystal Films set for my iPhone and i installed it and i have to say it seems like a cheap product. First off its not cut accurately meaning there is like 1 or 2 millimeter gaps around the home button/ earpiece and edges of the screen.

Also it looks really cheap, my friend saw the phone and was like "whats this thing on it?, it disfigures the phone and looks weird"

I bought Power support because of the rave reviews but im only 90 percent satisfied. Can anyone suggest something better excluding the invisible shield?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

My girlfriend didn't notice the Bodyguardz on my iPhone when I 1st installed it. It gets smudges that wipe easily, but that seems to come with just about every clear skin.

Pics here

3. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

That looks good but i'm scared of the ripple effect that ensues from spraying it with water

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

What's the rippling effect? Like the film doesn't look smooth at a certain angle?

If that's it, Bodyguardz has it, but it's not something that bothers me since it doesn't affect the screen when it's on and also it feels smooth and not "ripply".

5. docprego macrumors 65816

You must have gotten the anti-glare which reduce the image quality of the screen substantially. PS comes in another version which is crystal clear and does not affect the screen quality, but as you said the cut is less than perfect.

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

The only gap I have is around the home button. There was an initial batch that were cut too short around the edges of the phone, maybe you got a hold of one of those because mine fits perfect all the way around.

7. divang macrumors member

Funny thing is that the batch that was cut short if it was a bad batch, works welll with some cases because some catches catches on the edge of the phone, other screen protectors that go ALL the way to the edge, get pinched and deform.

So the PS being short helps alot of people that want to add a case that hangs on to the edge of the front screen.

8. vabigpoppa macrumors member

i love mine, i have the crystal film and you cant even tell its there. plus it was easy to install

9. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

It's not cheap, and in fact, it's probably the best quality screen film in the market. Yes, they cut the film with 1 mm gap on purpose all around the home button, speaker and the edge of the glass. If you apply it really careful, you should get the same gap for every edge, so it's not cheaply crafted. And the final point is: MADE IN JAPAN. How often do you get stuff made in Japan nowadays? Almost zero chance...

10. PAH Mac macrumors member

I've been really happy with the anti-glare film. It does change the appearance marginally but I love not having to wipe of the screen every time I use it. That was getting to be a pain. I am apparently very greasy :D

11. docprego macrumors 65816

While I agree that the fingerprint improvements it offers are remarkable, saying it changes the appearance of the screen marginally is just outright false. It dramatically reduces the screen quality, so much so that I had to take it off within 5 minutes of applying it. I absolutely hated the way my screen looked with it on.

12. aphexii macrumors 6502

As much as I liked the anti-smudge properties of the anti-glare film, its a bit more than a marginal decrease in IQ IMO.

13. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

It's the best screen protector out there. If it was cut perfectly you wouldn't even be able to tell it was on there (I use the crystal version).

I've put on the Bodyguardz and BestSkinsEver on my screen and they always have the ripple effect so I took them off.

14. PAH Mac macrumors member

wow, I didn't realize there were such strong feelings about the anti-glare. I guess it is just personal preference, but I don't mind the appearance.

15. bori macrumors member

Is it just me?

I'm having a problem where there are little specks of dust sneaking under the power support... I'm 100% sure that there was no dust there when I applied, and there was no dust yesterday when I went to sleep. But when I woke up, BAM there was a new speck of dust.

16. jdslow macrumors member

I know what you mean actually... my power support was applied in the apple store and was completely dust free. Now, three weeks later, it looks like there are two pieces of dust in different areas. However, I don't think it is dust, rather, I believe they are scratches (on the film). It is physically impossible for dust to get under the screen.

I haven't felt like removing the film just to prove it, but that is my theory.

-j

17. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

As far as screen protection goes I can only recommend Brando's UltraClear - they are virtually invisible, last forever, can be removed and cleaned at any point in time.

As far as application goes I suggest that you dump the screen protector in water with a few drops of dishwasher in it. Before application I usually blow away the remaining water drops with canned air (make sure you get the expensive, oil free version). All that remains is to push out the remaining moisture after applying it.