Is it me or the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airfang, May 14, 2008.

1. airfang macrumors regular

Recently I noticed battery drain while my MacBook Pro is off.

It will charge for like 30 mins after I power it on.

One thing to note though, I haven't used it for four days or something. So to rephrase my question, does the battery drain automatically while the MBP is off?

Battery info from iStat:
    Health: 100%
    Cycle: 20

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Was it asleep or shutdown. Of course, all batteries loose charge over time.

3. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

It was completely shut off... if it was sleeping I wouldn't make a fuss over it :)

4. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

mine usually looses a max of 2-3% when I power it down. Did you have it at 100% or close before you shutdown?

5. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I experienced it twice already because every time before I shutdown, the indicator on the power adapter is green and the battery is fully charged.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

it might be worth it to call apple if its still under warranty. I really don't think the battery should discharge its self that much.

7. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the suggestion, I might try one more time since I am not very sure how long I've kept the MBP off. If it was a week then several percent of battery drain is acceptable.

8. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

This Is An Idnetified Problem. Apple Is Working On It.

I had the same problem with my MBP battery losing power while plugged in. I called Apple. At that point they had not heard about it and replaced the computer. The old one went to engineering so they could look at it. The second machine had the same problem and also went to engineering. I just got the third machine and am testing it. When I spoke to my contact about the second machine, I was told that other customers had the same problem They wanted to "capture" 5 of these machines to do their investigation. I think my second machine was the last of the 5.

For now, I would call Apple Care and let them know. They may do something now or they may wait until they have it figured out. Either way, you should get an event number for this.

9. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

Thx for the tip, but the situation for me is that it's losing power after a period of time while not plugged in (completely turned off)

10. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

With the first machine, I had a small power drain when the unit was off and unplugged. That was not the case with the second. If the problem is in the power management system (which seems like a no-brainer) then I suppose anything is possible.

11. glassmen07 macrumors member

My MBP's battery would charge, but after I took the power adapter out it would only hold the charge for 20-30 minutes. It was under a year warranty still so I brought it to Apple and they gave me a new battery. I'd say bring it in.

12. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

battery drain

I learned from an Apple Care rep that I spoke to earlier today that this problem is specific to the 17" MBP, and not any other model or size MBP.

13. airfang thread starter macrumors regular

Again thx guys for the replies, now that I turn the MBP on once a day or two days I don't experience the problem. :apple: