Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
I have a printer hardware problem on an HP All-In-One. The rollers aren’t picking up the paper (getting an out of paper error) and the leading edge of the paper is tearing a bit when it does print. I tried to clean the rollers. The scanner also has intermittent hanging issues are well. Tried to reinstall the software, to no avail. Printer is still covered in the extended warranty, so I took it back to Best Buy.

The Geek said that the reason the scanner isn’t working is that I am running Bootcamp. He said that the drivers in Bootcamp won’t support wireless. Bootcamp has fouled everything.

I told him that Windows runs natively in Bootcamp on a Mac, but he told me that there are hardware conflicts. I asked him what he thought was a conflict – he said everything: the motherboard, the processor, everything on a Mac is not meant to run Windows. I told him that it had worked fine for me for almost 2 years, but he was NOT convinced.

So, before I go back there and make a fool of myself, I need to know.

Are there incompatible drivers in Boot Camp? I think that if Windows is running natively on its own partition, it would be a Windows' driver problem, right?

Are there any known hardware conflicts when running Windows in Bootcamp?

I haven’t had any issues with my setup. I just have an HP problem.

Oh, and by the way, I asked what exactly do they do when they optimize a Mac for $39.99. He said that he hadn’t exactly done one, but they start up the computer, remove items that might be slowing it down, set up security and other things to make it better. For $40? What a joke! I wouldn’t let that idiot touch my MBP.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
That sounds like a load of bulls**t to me. How would a hardware/software compatibility issue on a Mac cause a physical issue on the printer itself, with it not "grabbing" the inserted paper? As far as the printing/scanning wireless, I've only heard of not being able to scan wireless when the printer's hooked to any AirPort base station. Found this a while back, but probably isn't 100% applicable to your situation. Just to shut up the GS agent, bring the printer to a friend's house who owns a PC with either XP or Vista, install the printer drivers, etc. and heck, even bring the same document/photo what-have-you. Test. If the thing still mucks up, its nothing to do with the printer driver/software or the Mac running BootCamp.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
And to test for an extended warranty claim, the Geek Squad agent should have been able to plug the All-in-One into a test machine (i.e. a Windows machine at their bench) to try to duplicate the problem. It sounds to me like it's an issue with the printer itself and has nothing to do with drivers.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Since both of the responders went off on the same track, I guess I didn't explain my question well enough.

The printer needs new rollers. There may be a problem with the scanner and wireless, but it is intermittent.

My question is really a Bootcamp one, based on what this little geek said:

Are there any hardware incompatibilities you know of when running Bootcamp due to the Mac architecture? Are there any known driver issues that he might be talking about, or is he making stuff up?

The little geek wanted to blame the scanner problem on his opinion that because it was a Mac "Motherboard", it would never be fully capable of running a Windows-based device. I think he wanted to find something simple to blame the problem on, rather than actually honoring the warranty.

I came to Mac as Bootcamp was released, so I don't know much about the old virtual machine. I was wondering if the little geek thinks that Bootcamp is an emulator with some of the problems of the old system, hence his comments.

What do you think?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Rules of buying a Mac from someone other than Apple:

1. The Freak Squad are useless, bumbling IDIOTS.

Are there any hardware incompatibilities you know of when running Bootcamp due to the Mac architecture?

The "Mac architecture" is x86. It's the same as any P(iece of)C(rap).

Are there any known driver issues that he might be talking about, or is he making stuff up?

Making crap up.

The little geek wanted to blame the scanner problem on his opinion that because it was a Mac "Motherboard", it would never be fully capable of running a Windows-based device. I think he wanted to find something simple to blame the problem on, rather than actually honoring the warranty.

Complete effing liar. Best Buy was just sued for purposely not granting price matches; do you expect them to not lie about other things?

I was wondering if the little geek thinks that Bootcamp is an emulator with some of the problems of the old system, hence his comments.

I think he's just an idiot. It doesn't matter what he thinks it is; he's just wrong.

What do you think?

I think that you know more than he does about computers, so buy on your own terms from now on. :D

If you ever go to Best Buy again and someone says, "Can I help you?", just say, "No... you really can't."

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Are there any hardware incompatibilities you know of when running Bootcamp due to the Mac architecture? Are there any known driver issues that he might be talking about, or is he making stuff up??

No!

The little geek wanted to blame the scanner problem on his opinion that because it was a Mac "Motherboard", it would never be fully capable of running a Windows-based device.

He is wrong.

I was wondering if the little geek thinks that Bootcamp is an emulator with some of the problems of the old system, hence his comments.

I don't know what he's thinking, it just sounds like he has no clue what he's talking about.

uhohzitzcooky

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Sigh, it's times like these that make me feel ashamed of working at best buy. But hey, they're flexible with hours, and not to mention discount for a college student. That guy sounds like a complete idiot, and unfortunately there aren't any requirements to become a Geek.
In my store, only 4 of us in the entire PCHO/Geek Squad department know about Mac, and I hear it's worse at other stores. My advice is, either come in prepared, or if you have to ask for help - test out the associates first. If they instantly talk about services/warranty - back off, find someone else.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Rules of buying a Mac from someone other than Apple:

If you ever go to Best Buy again and someone says, "Can I help you?", just say, "No... you really can't."

Truth.

I'm off to Best Buy to make sure the scanner and wireless issue is added to the repair report.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.