Is it my Airport or internet provider?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattg3, Jul 31, 2011.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

After 7 months with my new imac and comcast cable Ive had two horrible days of very slow internet that is impossible to use.Ive also found that when my imac comes out of sleep it cant find my network and i have to manually connect.None of this has happen before so I wonder if its my imac or provider.Is there anything I can do to test my AirPort to be sure its okay?
    Thanks

2. Texran macrumors regular

Did you update to Lion, and are you using wired or wifi.

3. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

My imac running Lion also have problem connect to internet via WIFI when waking from sleep. After switching back to SL, the problem is gone.

Do you have another router to try and test the connection speed?

4. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Didnt update to lion and no i dont have another router so Im going to have comcast make a house call.Just wondered if there is anything I can do at my end?My connection was so slow I could not do a speed test(stopped at .2)but my ping was 42.

5. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

6. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wifi. When I have been resetting my modem and router i have been pulling plugs and plugging in modem,then router after modem all lit up and finally the computer from a sleep position.Well none of it worked but tonight i noticed an on off button on side of the comcast supplied netgear router.I turned off router that way instead of the unplug way and things seem okay again.
    Odd that it now works fine using that method.I guess unplugging these boxes is not the way to go.Still have comcast coming on wendsday but if the speed and connection holds Ill cancel.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Not odd at all if that modem has a backup battery. My COMCAST modem has a reset button that must be used - simply unplugging the power cord does not clear the modem.

8. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wish comcast had more knowledge of their equipment.Unplugging seems to be what they tell customers to reset.Im sure doing that causes more problems as was my case.Thanks for your info.

9. Texran macrumors regular

Try turning off wifi on computer, remove (delete) your usual connection and any other clones if they exist, such as guest, 5g, ect. Restart computer.
    Turn computer wifi back on and choose your network.

10. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure what you mean by clones.Im in a condo so lots of networks show up but all encrypted and imac set up to just connect to mine which it hasnt been doing.Are you suggesting i delete all the networks that come up.I was not aware i could do this.This morning i was back having problems so i shut off airport ant turned it back on again and it connected to my network.Never tried that before.

11. Texran macrumors regular

Just remove any networks you have access to, guest, 5 MHz, plus one your router may have created for you before you applied your own network name and settings.
    Turn wifi back on, then select the network you want to use.