Is it my imagination, or have we had more sniping in the posts recently?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Ish, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I've just skimmed through 20 pages of New Posts catching up on what has been happening. Does anyone else think the number of posts with bad-tempered remarks is higher now than a few months ago?

Yes I know that posts can be reported, but it's not necessarily at the level indicated in the Forum Rules. Just makes reading the posts less enjoyable. Anyone else noticed anything?

2. thecritix macrumors 6502

well if u dont like it, use another forum.

lol jokesss

perhaps everyones just a little edgy, it'll all be sweet again when we have leopard tips and tricks to discuss. :)

3. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

It does seem like everyone has been a bit out of sorts lately. Maybe it's due to the change of seasons? Maybe it's because of all the new releases (Apple TV, iPhone, Leopard)? Maybe it's because.....hell, I don't know! :D

4. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

:p Hee hee! Did a double take there for a second! Hope you're right.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It isn't your imagination. The posts have been becoming nastier lately, and we're all hoping it dies down after Leopard. The theory right now is that there are a lot of new users who are simply here for iPhone or Leopard advice. Since the iPhone dust has settled now, the only remaining source of new joiners (in an en masse fashion) is Leopard. So, hopefully, a few weeks after Leopard has settled, we'll be able to go back to our once civil forums:eek:

6. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

I think it is the holier-than-thou moralists who don't understand the concepts they attack with.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

*points at teh newbies*

it was them! ;)

but seriously, i agree with you. over the past year, the overall tone of the forums has seen vastly different from how it was back in the day.

oh well, maybe everyone will realise that threads were created yesterday pointing out that hole in the Mac lineup for the 27,000th time. or that yes, someone has previously tried doing x instead of y.

and perhaps, someday, a new member will discover and read the forum rules, and use the search before posting what's been posted before...

:rolleyes:

8. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

So the prevailing theory is that iPhone users are a grumpy lot?! :D

As long as they're nicely clueless I can cope with that.

bigandy, you've only been here 7 months longer than me. Where do you get the time to make so many posts????? I'm not even up to my 500 yet! Yeah, okay, I can hear the answer: you type fast! :p

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I've noticed a lot of negativity/hostility around here lately... and I'm not diggin' it.

It's not just from newbies either.

Can't we all just be friends?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sounds good to me:p

Seriously though, the iPhone forums attract some of the worst threads/posts around. They are a war zone.

11. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

What does crack me up is when I go back and read some of my posts from 2002.... usually at least one or two of the active posters who replied to me have been banned in the last few years.

Another reason for the nastiness is some are really caught up in the distortion field. Most of us realize that Apple isn't flawless but if you point it out to certain newbies you are told to go back to XP.

12. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

1. No, me neither
    3. Suits me. That makes two of us then. (Not sure the sentiment goes with your sig though! :p)

I don't want an iPhone so, thankfully, I've never been in there.

Yeah, sometimes you get a product that's a bit iffy: there's always one rotten :apple: in the barrel!

It's funny having a conversation on here when you're nearly half way round the world. Takes longer than if you were on the moon!

Don't want to just sit here and moan about it though. I will deal with it for myself by not getting drawn in to something negative, and I won't be rude either. Doesn't mean I won't tease in a friendly way though! Let's radiate some friendliness. :)

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, just stay out of the iPhone/iPod touch forums and it's really not much different from the MR of old. I've eliminated them from my search and forum spy prefs, so I hardly ever see them at all.

14. Queso macrumors G4

I find that hilarious, especially when it's from a poster with a join date of Sep 2007 or similar :D

But yeah, chill out people. If you want to be all nasty and aggressive in your posting there are sites for that already.

15. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Haha, good point with the link.

I think this is a bit inevitable, considering the rise in Mac, iPod, and recently iPhone popularity. More people means more rotten apples.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's why I've blocked them from the forum spy.

I got sucked into a few threads on there and it doesn't take much to upset someone. I only said the iPhone wasn't perfect :D

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's because everyone sucks.

There, I said it.

;)

18. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Exactly. Cluless + Nice > Clueless + Nasty. :rolleyes:

My post average is hardly over 3 a day. I've been here longer than some of the most prolific posters here (KT, Mad Jew etc), but they've racked up a whole lot more.

Agreed. I've seen it from all angles. I think that any long term members that are doing that are just coming to the end of their tethers. Not that it's an excuse, I just know how annoying it gets sometimes hearing something for the umpteenth time. :rolleyes:

You suck. :p

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that is probably correct, but if you do like me and it sounds like a lot of other people here just block them, and you don't notice it quite as much. I think that a lot of them are new to Apple and think that they have to act like their idea of the stereotypical Apple user and think that nothing can ever be wrong with Apple and Microsoft is worse than the devil and cannot make a good product ever.

20. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

Again, I think you guys are really overlooking the holier than thou folks. I don't recall any issues with people posting about Jaguar, Panther, or Tiger a day or two early. These people just get my dander up.

21. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

22. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I agree totally with you. It's not so much the newbies themselves that bring out these "sniping" remarks, more the really lazy people who don't even bother to search the forums or google to ask a basic, easy, previously answered question or post the 50th thread on something.

I know i'm guilty of sniping at people, but never (and please tell me if i have) at someone with a legitimate question that a simple search or RTFM couldn't answer. In those situations i hope i come across as being as helpful as anyone can be if i know the answer, or can point in the right direction.

23. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

To me, the issue is: Does a poorly formed question or a question from someone who could have found the answer by reading the FAQs merit a snappy/snotty response? What value does being snarky add? These responses don't answer the question and subject the rest of us to an unpleasant conversation.

Think about how much fun it is listening to other people argue. Okay, I know it can be fun if they're getting in some good lines, but, after a point, do you really want to be around that negative energy?

As Arn suggested when I created the post I did, the best response is to point the person in the right direction rather than weigh in on what you think about them and the proverbial horse upon which they rode into town. Sometimes rolling your eyes and moving on is the best response.

Just because somebody is a "newbie" doesn't give someone else license to s**t on them. And I'm frankly perplexed by people who consider it a point of pride to do just that. None of knows as much about anything as somebody else knows, and I really regret the day they decide to be condescending and not share what they know.

24. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

WTF, you dumb Jackaxx, get lost!

oops, sorry. I don't know what came over me. Maybe it was the Twinkies.:eek:

25. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I think there's definitely been more sniping in the forums lately...

[​IMG]

Hopefully the killing will stop this evening after six or so. ;)