Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Maybe it's a placebo effect but since I upgraded to IOS 12 Face ID seems to work better for me...in particular it seems a little faster and works better at odd angles. First time I really noticed was when I was in my car and had the phone mounted at an odd angle a ways away from me. FWIW I do have "Require attention for Face ID" turned on.

Anybody else seeing this?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This would be great. I have problems as well, but ironically it never seems to have problems (EVER!) with my car mount even though it’s firther away and tilted a little. Go figure.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It’s definitely better. They said at WWDC there had been improvements. Primarily it’s faster. This also means that it can retry faster when it doesn’t find a match.

I’m finding I have to key in my PIN MUCH less with iOS 12.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
It’s definitely better. They said at WWDC there had been improvements. Primarily it’s faster. This also means that it can retry faster when it doesn’t find a match.

I’m finding I have to key in my PIN MUCH less with iOS 12.

Same here. Still not perfect for me (especially in bright sunny conditions) but it seems much better.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Soooooo I think it requires less of a match.

I’m finding I can put my hand on my face or cover about 1/4 of it and it will unlock.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a fan of this.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Soooooo I think it requires less of a match.

I’m finding I can put my hand on my face or cover about 1/4 of it and it will unlock.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a fan of this.
I’ve found that I could block pretty large portions of my face in ios11 and still get a match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.