Is it my logic board, inverter, led screen, or all 3?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pufftissue, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

Hi,

I can't find a thread that was started about screen problems, but here goes:

macbook pro 2.2 ghz santa rosa chip
    128 mb nvidia 8600gt
    led screen by LG

Problem: half the lights in the led screen die, so it looks like I've got spot lights, every other one, lit up from the bottom of the screen. There is a high-pitched whine and some flickering, and then it sometimes fixes and sometimes does not.

Also, before the laptop wouldn't charge, and the Apple store said it was the actual power brick and not the laptop itself. A new power cord fixed this. However, coupled with this new problem, I am just wondering if the logic board or video card has issues.

Also, could this be an inverter problem? Do LED screens even have inverters?

I am curious as to how I should fix this as my laptop is out of warranty now.

Please advise! I could buy a screen on fleabay but I don't want to spend that money without assurances that replacing the screen will fix the problem.

Thank you

2. GreyMatta macrumors regular

with regard to the stripy screen see this thread link

Apple knows about it but there is no fix :(

I have the same issue and it has been in for repair (they replaced the entire top case because it also had keyboard and touchpad issues). But tonight it displayed the stripes on the screen again (not very happy)

Your not charging issue I have also had on this machine and a new adapter sent from Apple fixed it. My battery also died last month after only 7 months of use.

Along with a rubbish Super drive repair (It went in to Apple 3 times due to case not fitted right and then a crushed Super drive slot)

I am calling Apple again tomorrow. My university course starts in 2 weeks and I don't want a defective machine whilst studying

3. johata3 macrumors regular

This is a friend's Macbook Pro and we are trying to fix it.

So far the backlight display does not work. We thought it was the inverter card so we tried to replace it. As we tried to boot up, the display does not light up at all. We can see the iSight camera's green light and the keyboard's light display so we only see the pitch black dark screen.

Do you think this is not the inverter card problem but something else?

The specs to this mbp is 2.33 GHz, 250 GB, and 2GB RAM.

4. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

5. thisdorkagain macrumors newbie

i kinda had a similar problem. in my case, the screen would temporarily go out but i can still see the green light on the isight and hear sound from my mbp. i had to smack the bottom to get the backlight running again. i thought it was a loose connection. but not only that, some of my usb devices like my WD Passport wasn't being powered enough to actually see the dang thing in Finder. so i lost usb power too.

took to the apple genius bar and said it was the LOGIC BOARD. they replaced it and fixed everything.

6. johata3 macrumors regular

we can hear the chime at the boot up. we can faintly see the apple icon when the laptop loads. its' just that we can't adjust the backlight at all. do you guys think it's the logic board?

7. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

No, I'm calling it's the LCD. I had the same problem with a 12" PB G4...replaced the LCD and good as new!

8. johata3 macrumors regular

Okay. I'll look over at the LCD then. Thanks Cole! :)

Do you guys happen to know any good sites that has good tutorials on fixing the MBP's? I've tried powerbookmedic and it helped a lot. However, are there any sites that might also help us (specifically on LCD)?

9. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog