Is it necessarily bad to have the iPhone plugged in all day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Sep 11, 2008.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I work from 9-5 at a desk, so my phone is usually plugged into my computer here, then when I get it home I usually hook it up to my laptop.

It's not plugged in overnight, but basically all day. Should I be allowing the battery to discharge more before charging it?

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

As long as you charge it and let it run flat, then charge it to full again once a month or so you should be fine. There's a section in the manual of how to look after the battery.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think for best batt performance, you need to let it run down all the way every now and then

4. FJR macrumors regular

Isn't this just to recalibrate the battery meter anyway? Not necessarily anything to do with the actual battery itself.

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

someone posted a very informative thread on charging the iPhone battery. Search the forums. It have statistics. According to the info charging while it was all the way drained was bad. It is better to charge at half. It's worth looking up.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Every month is the recommended run-down time from complete charge to complete drain. The same thing with ipods,iphones and Laptops.:D

7. chaoses macrumors member

chaoses

The manual says that the battery has a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually run out and die.If you charge it too much you will have to replace battery sooner.

8. FJR macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure what you are talking about here is pure charge time. For this effect it wouldn't matter how often you charged it, just how much you charged it (which is obviously equivalent to how much you use it).

9. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

pfft, people have been debating battery crap since the dawn of time.

Use it how you please.

10. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

If they had batteries since the dawn of time, then the cavemen might never have had the need to invent fire. :D

But you're right.. I don't there's every a definitive right way to use it.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not true at all. The battery only takes what it needs. When it's fully charged, it stops charging, and that's it.

What MAY kill a battery is lack of use. The battery should go through a full charge cycle at least once a month to get some exercise.

Note that a "full charge cycle" doesn't necessarily mean you have to drain the battery all at once and then fully charge it. Two sessions of using the battery to 50% and then charging count as one charge cycle.

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

No, it's not necessarily bad...now if you left it charging for about a week, then there might be some concern (though it might only be a difference in minutes in terms of battery life).

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

honestly, i think by the time your iPhone battery actually dies, no matter how you use and charge it, you'll have upgraded to a newer model.

you're going to get different answers from different people. some say you need to charge it full and run it dry once a month, some say only drain to 50%, some say to 20%, and some say don't even bother to calibrate. there just doesn't seem to be a clear answer (though i'm sure many people will claim to have one).

the only thing i know for sure is that you don't need to worry about having it plugged in. once the battery is full, it stops charging.