Is it necessary to buy an External hard drive for backups?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMini2009, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I'm thinking about buying a 1TB external hard drive so I can back up my Mac Mini. Is it really necessary to own an external hard drive? Do you or do you not own one? Why?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For a backup it is necessary, as a backup to the internal HDD would defeat the purpose of a backup in case of a system or hardware failure.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Absolutely necessary! Your hard drive can crap out and you can lose all your data, everything, with no warning. An external drive is a great way, not the only way, but a great way to backup your photos, videos, etc. I have a Western Digital external drive for my iMac. I bought it when my hard drive in my iMac stopped working and was very lucky when the apple store techs were able to save my data. Now, I use the WD drive and time machine and if my hard drive every dies again; I have an easy way to get back all my stuff.

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

Well, there seems to be only three options:
    1. external HD
    2. second internal HD
    3. "online backup" via the internet.

If you have a Mac Mini, I assume you don't have space for a second internal HD. So you can either use an external HD or the HD in the internet cloud.

Okay, 4th option is optical disk backup (i.e. CD-RW or DVD-RW) but these are generally much slower.

I do have an external HD for backup and use via Time Machine. My ISP (phone company) supposedly offers me the HD in the internet cloud, but I'm not sure how/if it works with Mac OS. I never investigated that option as I already had my external HD for backup.