Is it necessary to calibrate/condition the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by goose1873, Feb 7, 2008.

1. goose1873 macrumors member

Was wondering if there was a preferred method to calibrate/condition a new battery. I typically work on the couch with it plugged in, but read threads referring to monthly conditioning? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. ewxlt macrumors regular

I've heard some make a big deal out of this. I've done it a few times but have never noticed a performance benefit or durability benefit. Not a big priority for me.

3. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

thanks...i saw a link on another thread (apple site) and will follow that and maybe do it every couple months.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats how its done. I am calibrating my MBP right now as I write this.

5. Sinsocal macrumors newbie

Does calibrating the battery improve the battery health? I noticed that my new MBP's battery health (according to iStat) is at 98% even with only 1 charge cycle. My year old MB has a 100% battery health after 70 charge cycles.

6. smirking macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, calibrating the battery doesn't literally change the amount of juice your battery has left, but it allows the battery level indicator to read the battery power more accurately. It doesn't matter if your battery is fully charged if the battery level indicator is telling your MBP to save and power down immediately.

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Calibrating the battery keeps the cells in the battery "moving." I say that when I calibrated the battery on my iBook and my MB the battery usually got better, then would go back to the original. If you calibrate your battery properly than you should have no problems.

8. goose1873 thread starter macrumors member

thanks again...i go about 9% to go and then 5 hours w/out my laptop :(

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have resolutely ignored all the calibration advice. Never had a problem.

10. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

haha, classic reply! I bet the calibration is more there for those infrequent users, like it states at the bottom of the calibration guidelines. If you're a heavy user and it frequently goes through some sort of charge/discharge phase i reckon you'll be fine without it.

Won't hurt to do it though, I do :)

11. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to bump this, but id rather bump it instead of make a whole new thread.

Should i wait until the battery is fully charged before i turn it on for the first time? About how long does that take? And if the light turns green does that mean its fully charged or that its almost charged? Thanks guys, just picked up this beauty and finally got home. I went to the apple store first to buy it then to IKEA to get a new computer desk lol.

12. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

apple and ikea. Apple users are so trendy!

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

It's not necessary. Just plug it in and go.

Green means fully charged.

A common misconception is that calibrating can affect your battery runtime. This is false. The only thing calibration does is calibrate your battery meter so that the percentage and time remaining indicators in your menubar are as accurate as possible.

Some people have complained that after battery calibration, Coconut battery reports less battery health, and therefor become concerned and attempt to calibrate again hoping that health will increase. This is a completely pointless and fruitless exercise. The capacity "lost" was never there to begin with and the previous number was in fact inaccurate.

So, this is why you've never had a problem. The worst thing that could happen by not calibrating would be an inaccurately reported time remaining estimate in your menubar.

14. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

One more stupid question for me, im on step 3 of that little chart where you run the battery down completely on battery power, i didnt get to this part until late last night so i didnt have time to actually "Use" it during this and i just let it sleep the whole night and it lost probably 4%. Will this affect anything? The fact that i let it sleep last night, or does it not really matter how long it takes as long as you just completely drain the battery.