Is it necessary to sync your e-mail every time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokiepokie07, Jul 4, 2009.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I'm just curious if it does anything when I sync my gmail account every time I pug in my iphone on my laptop.

I had the box checked, but may uncheck it now because last night it was stuck on it all night because I did not click a message that popped up.

Hope I did not harm my iPhone.

2. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not sure what you're asking. If it's IMAP, it's synced over the air and far easier to use than POP.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It syncs your mail, so you can not sync automatically and just sync when you want to, but this is not going to change anything.

5. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

can you do IMAP with gmail?

what I was talking about was when you plug in your iphone, and under "info" it says e-mail accounts, do I need to check sync my email accounts so it does it every time?

Mine is POP right now for my gmail, but I'd love to have IMAP for it.

6. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

btw, what is the difference b/t imap and pop?

doesn't pop delete it from my gmail account if i delete it from my iphone, so then if I delete it from my iphone it will not show up on my laptop or if I check on gmail.com?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, you can definitely do IMAP with gmail.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

You don't have to have it sync every time. It is only syncing the Mail settings anyway -- not the actual messages.

You should set up your Gmail as IMAP, that way across all your devices your email will look the same.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

POP: mail is downloaded to your phone, whatever you do on your phone (delete etc) is not transfered back to the server.

IMAP: Whatever you do on the phone is mirrored on the server and vice versa.

IMAP is much better.

10. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

doesn't pop delete it from my gmail account if i delete it from my iphone, so then if I delete it from my iphone it will not show up on my laptop or if I check on gmail.com?

and if I have it on IMAP it will save the e-mail on my gmail.com if I delete it from my iphone?

11. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, you have them reversed.

12. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so if I was to set up IMAP, then if I delete it from my iphone it will delete it from the gmail server?

so then it would not show up on gmail.com?

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Exactly

14. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ha, thanks!

Have a great holiday everyone!

15. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

last question ...

Do I need to disable pop on my gmail settings?

here is what I'm talking about, on my gmail settings I have IMAP enabled, but also POP enabled ...

[​IMG]

16. ay98182 macrumors member

No, you've got it the wrong way round - IMAP will delete it from the server and POP won't. Basically IMAP makes it so that everything is mirrored: if you read a message on the iPhone, it will show up as read on the server and vice versa etc etc. If you delete a message from your iPhone, it will delete it from all of your devices AND the server.

IMAP is a lot better than POP as it saves you the hassle of organising your emails several times.

Btw if you're worried about losing a message permanently after accidentally deleting it, there's always a 'trash' folder on the IMAP which saves your deleted emails for a time.

(EDIT: oops others got there me)

17. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Doesn't matter.

What you do need to do is delete your POP gmail account from your phone and create a new IMAP one.

18. ay98182 macrumors member

just in case anyone's interested, this is what gmail says about deleting messages:

"Gmail lets you delete either an entire conversation or one message from a conversation. Deleted messages are a lot like the stuff in the trash can in your kitchen: eventually, it's all going in the big dumpster outside, but for a little while, you can still rummage through it if you lost something important. Gmail will empty messages from your Trash automatically after 30 days, or you can permanently delete messages yourself."

19. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you guys are awesome.

just did it.

thanks.

20. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

for some reason on my iTunes it still has POP gmail as the only email account to sync

i deleted it from my iphone and created the IMAP one.

How do I get it to change on iTunes?

21. Moe UK macrumors regular

IIRC It is not your phone email settings that it is backing up in iTunes but those from your mail client on your computer so if you dos restore or set up as a new phone it sets up the details for you again.

22. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll change my email settings on my computer to imap when I get back and see if that fixes it

23. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Do you have gmail set up on your computer as a POP account?