Is it necessary to upgrade to 1pad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by italeki, Apr 10, 2011.

1. italeki macrumors regular

I have the original iPad 1. I have no issues with speed, and I don't need a camera on it, but the advertisements for the iPad 2 are tempting, saying that it has better visuals colors and sharpness to movies and all. Is it worth upgrading? Thanks!

2. Stefx73 macrumors regular

It's pretty much the same as the iPad 1 except it's faster and has the cameras.
    The display quality is the same (same resolution, hence did not expect an improvement).

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Absolutely.

4. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

iPad 1 vs iPad 2

So if it's only the camera and a little faster, but with the same screen resolution, then i'll stay with my original iPad and not waste the money. Thanks!

5. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

6. madat42 macrumors regular

It's not necessary...yet. Really, the big difference is the dual-core processor in the iPad 2. At some point, the app you really, really want will require it. :)

7. NeonGreenHermit macrumors regular

Let me offer another perspective.

As an iPad 1 owner, I was keen to try a 2 out and finally did last week. Honestly? If I had the money, I'd give my current gen to a family member and just buy it. Why the heck not? I could even buy twenty and make a coat out of them.

But is it necessary? Of course it isn't. Pre-launch I got super hyped up as much as the next Apple fan, and cursed not selling my iPad sooner to get a good price to trade up with... but as launch day came and went, my desire for it waned.

I think it's a superb purchase for first time buyers - it really is - but I think there is an element of consumer madness that follows and affects Apple fans. A sort of 'keeping up with the Jobs's' [sic] that creates an addictive obsession with having the latest release at all times, or feeling so last year. Nobody ever replaced their phones or computers every year to the day before the iPhone took Apple as a luxury brand name into the households of regular non-tech folk.

It sounds all very hippy, but sometimes I disgust myself when I see something tragic on the news and reflect upon my first world problem of how to procure the next iThing iWant. I love Apple, always will, they're business geniuses and make excellent products... but no longer feel the need to pointlessly upgrade my stuff every year. When a new iPad arrives with Thunderbolt and a retina screen, I'll make the leap.

So yeah... I've been running the calculations all through the night and from the test results it does appear - contrary to popular belief, you can actually live a long and happy life with the stuff you have without jumping every time Apple say so.

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

If you're happy with what you have, why upgrade now? Wait until iPad 3 comes out, there will be a bigger jump going from 1 to 3 and it will be more worthwhile.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Necessary? Of course not. Not even in the context of tablets. But is it a nicer device? Yes, its smaller, lighter, thinner and faster in every way. Plus the smart cover is a great way to hold the device when it is lying down.(but it does add some weight). Plus things like cameras, 1080p output for everything, iMovie, Phtotbooth, Gargeband are nice software upgrades.

But no, I'm sure your iPad 1 will be fine and the iPad 3 will come out and you will have been able to save the money to get the nicest model you want without issue.

10. 2ndname macrumors member

Is it necessary, of course not.

Upgrade your iPad if:
    You have the money to burn.
    You know what you will be doing with your 1st gen (Sell/Gift).
    There are apps that you must use that is sluggish at best on your iPad.

I have recently purchased an iPad 2 for my fiance and when deciding if I should purchase iPad 2 or 1, I decided to go with the discounted 1st gen 32GB for a cool price of $400 dollars. Did I regret my purchase? Not one bit. As long as it works for what I am using it for (Couch surfing, remote control, video viewing) I'm happy.

The only real benefit to me is the slight improvement in web surfing. It's not life and death and it's not so slow that I can wash the dishes before a page loads.

IMHO, if you're still undecided by now, don't upgrade Save up that cash and upgrade to iPad 3 when it comes out next year.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not necessary at all. It's redundant if anything. Wait for the iPad 3.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm, not sure what ads you were watching, but Apple has never said the iPad 2 screen was better or even different than the iPad 1.

13. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Ditto! :)

14. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you upgrade you won't regret it, but it isn't a necessary upgrade unless you do alot of gaming or want FaceTime.

15. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

16. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

No it isn't at all. I upgraded because I wanted to, rather than needed to.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Seconded. If the iPad 1 can do everything you care to do, then stick with it until it can't. What this really means is that at a certain point, new software (either iOS or app,) will require newer hardware. (See: iPhone 3G, iOS 4.3, multitasking, etc.) Once one of those new features is something that you decide you "can't live without", that's when you upgrade.

At this point, I am very close to that with my iPhone 3G. The features of the iPhone 4 are very good, but it's the software that would be nice. I figure I'll upgrade as soon as the iPhone has 4G. That'll be the "push it over the edge" feature for me.

For the iPad, I'm not sure at what point I'll reach it. It might be once FaceTime really takes off (I only know one person that actually uses it on a regular basis,) it might be once the screen resolution increases, I don't know. But it isn't the iPad 2. Oh, if I were buying now, I'd of course love the new features. But they aren't worth the cost of an upgrade.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I wouldn't upgrade from the first one. I can tell it's a little faster than my dad's first-gen iPad, but it's not like when I replaced my 4-year-old MacBook Pro with a brand new iMac.

If you're like me and most of what you do on an iPad isn't really CPU or GPU dependent, you should wait for the next upgrade to see if Apple bumps up the storage, is able to get the Retina display on it, etc. I got the 64GB one, and damn I love having this much storage. If I really get into digital magazines, it may come in more handy than I thought. But most of what I have done so far is read books and news. If a 5Ghz CPU was crammed in here, it wouldn't help me. My needs are pretty much battery life, storage capacity and display resolution.

19. ndrosubiyanto macrumors member

Just wait

Have you enjoy your ipad 1? I mean really really enjoy so upgrading your iPad never across your mind :D

20. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

As with all of my Apple products and other consumer goods, I expect the said to afford service for many years. I am still using the original phone. I purchased the iPad 2, which is our first ipad device, on launch day and expect it to perform at least for some 3 to 4 years prior to an upgrade.

21. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I just picked up an iPad 1. After looking at both models, it simply wasn't worthy the extra $100 for a speed boost. I will never use FaceTime, so the cameras really don't interest me.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

There is no answer to this question across the board

If you just want internet, email, simply games...iPad 1
    If you want the LATEST product, best RAM, etc...iPad 2