Is it necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattyK, May 24, 2008.

1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Okay so i've got a couple of things, to see if they really are necessary.
    1st off. a video conference camera on the front, from what i hear, in america, no phone networks support this, but in australia, they do? it would be good if it came with iChat video chat, that may be the only reason they have it, who knows.
    2. a 32gb iphone? i know people love their music, but is 32gb really necessary? unless your a music head, and feel the need to have 30gig of music and the other 2 gig worth of applications and contacts.(geez my dog just farted, it stinks)
    3. GPS!. You're all probably thinking, what the hells he on about? gps would be great. yeah sure, but what about the people who don't need it, and would be buying the iphone for that extra price, JUST for somthing they don't need? aswell as the 3G network, but thats another story. It would be nice feature if in google maps, instead of locate me, they'd have a GPS option, and using google maps, it would be a much more precise location, actually locating where you are. and maby some voice directions, it would be nice i guess.

anyways, just felt like posting somthing, so yeah

Also. Have any of you come to think that, that cargo ship with the supposedly new 'electronic computers' Could easily just be the new 24" and 20" etc imacs. i agree that they might have snuck in a few thousand iphones on that ship, but it's VERY unlikely.

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

1. most 3g phones, outside the us, have a camera on the front, so why not. would i buy one without it, of course. i got a computer to video chat on.
    2. 32gb, of course thats not necessary. apple still sells ipods you know, for your music...but if it doesn't raise the price, might as well.
    3. GPS, i wouldn't pay for it, but sure why not make it supported since my first generation chocolate can do it... you'll just probably have to pay for it. fun.

3. watermelon macrumors regular

1. nope, the australia network is just supposed to be faster. the att 3g network isn't as fast, but it's still enough for at least 1 way video chatting.
    2. some people like to watch movies on their ipods/iphones also , and movies take up a ton of space
    3. i doubt that if there was a, let's say, 16gb iphone w/o gps and a 16gb iphone w/ gps, the price differences would be so drastic.

and to the also, the 3g iphone launch is in 2 weeks. That's not that long if you think about it. The demand for the iphone 3g is going to be huge, as with all apple product launches. If they don't import all these iphones now, when are they going to import it?

:)

4. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

hmm. but why would they ship so many containers, just to one city? sounds a bit far fetched to me. i think it must be the new imacs. because in one of those crates? there is well over 1000+ iphones. so i guess we're just going to have to wait and see.
    hopefully they've already started shipping to australia!

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

...but what about the 3G itself? You know, the data speed? Being able to browse the web at 16 to 32 times the speed EDGE goes is a rather big deal, especially with the new App Store, where I'm sure we'll have 100MB apps.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

100 MB apps? That would be huge. Most of the apps on Installer are under 5 MB. And many are under 1. I doubt we'll see many 100MB apps

7. TedB macrumors member

1. There is this little known cell company called AT&T that supports 1 way video calling, which you can switch viewer back and forth. Some people might of heard of them lol.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/media-entertainment/attvideoshare.jsp

2. I agree that 32GB is too much, I am fine with a few albums and 2 movies on my 4GB. If I am going to be listening to a lot of music then my iPod will do just fine.

3. GPS is really not needed, though I don't really mind the extra 40 to 50 for it. If it is able to get me out of a traffic jam but getting different directions of help me when I am lost a few times, then it is worth it.

8. Chrisrokc macrumors regular

Ok, you don't like all this new stuff..... GO BUY THE OLD IPHONE!

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Depends on how many games come out (and if Apple compresses the Apps before download). Games require graphics, good graphics take up lots of space.

10. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

1. I would probably never use it, but maybe make videos of me and friends with it.

2. I plan on selling my 30GB ipod when i get the (hopefully) 32 GB iphone, so this storage size is perfect for my needs, as i like to keep al my songs, videos, pic, and documents on my ipod.

3. If im goin somewhere for the first time, i tend to get lost, so GPS would be great, not needed, but it would be used

11. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

im not saying i dont like it, i'm just suggesting that many of us, don't really even NEED it.

12. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

We don't NEED an IPhone at all, in fact we don't NEED most of what we use on a daily basis, but life isn't about what we need it's about what we want.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

of the 3, the 32GB iPhone is closest to necessary. With 32GB, I can leave my iPod at home.

14. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

THANKS. We get it, but obviously the OP is asking, are these things necessary for iphone 2, as in, will we not buy it if it doesn't have these things.

Not needed, you can't confirm any of this is on the new phone, so therefore your statement would only hold true if he mentioned 3g. And no one says i hate GPS, 32gb, or front camera, some of us just don't think its necessary.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

GPS has never been a big deal for me. Some really want it for their specific reasons and I understand that but I personally would have no problem if they didn't add it

I have never used a phone anyway to track for directions and whatnot.

I just use google maps before I leave office/home for my destinaton or make a phone call to wherever and get direction from them

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you use an iPhone for just music, 32GB is probably too much. But since it works pretty well playing videos, there's no such thing as too much storage.

I think with a $50 a/v cable I could plug this thing up and play movies/TV shows elsewhere instead of bringing DVDs along. I have also watched a movie or two on the road on the phone itself.

Also, whenever HD video can be downloaded to the phone and played back, it will need tons of storage. The HD videos on iTunes take up 4GB. If Apple ever wants to take on Blu-ray Discs, they'll have to make an iPhone that can play HD video. Otherwise, their HD offerings will be completely unportable. Meanwhile, I can easily carry a BD elsewhere.

Yeah, I got off track, but more storage, please. GPS would be a nice addition, but I bought the phone before and it's not a dealbreaker or anything.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) I think being able to see who I'm talking to is so much better than just talking. Plus the current AT&T network supports it data-wise; they just need to enable it as an option.
    2) I don't know what you use, but I have 200GB of iTunes content; so 32GB would be inadequate; it doesn't even fit my 160GB Classic! 32GB is necessary for the videos, even if it's just just standard 700MB videos; you want to share videos with friends, you need space to store them; also if the iPhone ever get video capture that video needs to be stored somewhere!
    3) The SiRFStar III chip is like $1 each in bulk; no reason not to add it; the only reason I can see is no space for the antenna. Google Maps already supports GPS. My E90 has GPS and the Google Maps can use WiFi, cellular triangulation, and GPS.

18. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

hmm thats a very valid point, never thought of it that way, but still, 8gb would be fine, even 16, i mean people go with 9mb of memory on moto razors!

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I watch lots of video on my iPod touch, and would always be glad to have to do less file swapping.

As an example, season 1 of Battlestar Galactica is nearly 5GB in size. Sure would be nice to be able to load the whole thing on rather than a few episodes at a time. I'm already bumping my head on 16GB between the 11GB of music I listen to regularly and the video that fills up the rest of the space.

20. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

mm. but imagine if steve released it without an ipod? and only allowed about 60mb. that wouldn't be good. :S

21. pseudonymph macrumors member

1. video calling - probably wouldn't do too many video calls over the cell network, but an ichat AV-style IM client over wifi would be nice. actually i'd be happy with google talk/aim that could run in the background (officially) even if it's just text-based.

2. 32gb - yeah I'd use it. apps, movies, tv shows, etc. take up more space than mp3s and contacts do. if 32gb is offered the only thing that would keep me from buying it would be cost.

3. gps - "locate me" on the maps app has been accurate enough, so gps isn't a big deal for me unless it comes with some bigger upgrades like turn-by-turn directions (tomtom/garmin killer)

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You can never have too much memory. Thirty two GBs would be a nice improvement. Can carry more music, videos, photos, third party apps, podcasts and audio books.

GPS would be nice. Don't need it all the time, but it can come in handy at times.

Camera on the front for video chats would be nice for some. For me not needed as the cost is really high here in Japan.

I did an informal survey of my cell phone using friends here. Everyone seemed to have full featured cell phones. What I found interesting, is that most of them mentioned that when they got their phones they used the feature set, but after a month or two, they basically used their phones for making calls. Go figure.