Is it normal for Geekbench scores to drop

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kdoug, Jun 12, 2017.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

drastically in 15 months? I ran it several times with all running apps shut down after a restart. This is done on a 9.7 Pro and I wanted to check it against my 10.5 when it comes in tomorrow but I was a little surprised by the results. IMG_0090.PNG IMG_0089.PNG

2. Sensamic macrumors 68030

3. barger01 macrumors newbie

Do you know if this is due to software updates over time or does the hardware just age and contribute to lower scores? I didn’t know that could happen. Thank you!

4. kdoug, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

kdoug thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Ran it also under Geekbench 4, similar scores to GB 3. Somewhat disappointed in the drop of horsepower in a short amount of time.
    IMG_0093.PNG
    IMG_0094.PNG

5. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

It is due to aging hardware as the iOS updates do make a impact, for the most accurate score I would close all your apps as well, also depending on the thermals your iPad may have throttled.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My guess, this one's on iOS 10. If you look at Integer and Floating Point results, they're in the same ballpark. It's Memory results that are significantly off.

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Updates tend to slow the devices.

It can't keep up with the new demands. Some say it's also a planned strategy from companies to make us upgrade sooner.

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Ehh... some can see it as they wish. I know there is always more overhead with every OS update and every time there is a major update it can sometimes be graphics heavy. That really slows down devices since the OS itself is eating more resources and leaving less for apps (and benchmarks like Geekbench) to use.

9. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

Close all the apps, then let your iPad cool for 1/2 hr and then straight open geekbench and do a benchmark. You will get higher score.
    That is thermal throttling for you.

10. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yes it does that if you have apps open, background app refresh or anything that requires the processor to work. Also the speed changed when Geekbench 4 was released, (though I'm not sure if geekbench 3 was still around when the iPad Pro 9.7" came out.)