Is it normal for MBA Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pawelk, Jul 25, 2014.

1. pawelk macrumors newbie

Hi

Purchased MBA 11 2014 few days ago, one thing i noticed is that, when i scroll web pages with bright background, dark fonts and images are getting much brighter.

I did google about it and from what i know this problem exist in all MBA?

You can see in while for example scrolling Youtube comments using touchpad.

2. pawelk thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I've got an 11" MBA, but don't have any idea what you're talking about. Never noticed anything like that, sorry...

4. pawelk thread starter macrumors newbie

If you visit for example this site http://www.wykop.pl/

and scroll down using 2 fingers, doesnt the font change color from dark blue to light blue ? (while scrolling only)

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

No. But if I look closely, it seems to "flicker" a little. I think that's just because the screen is being refreshed. But really, when I scroll it's because I want to move the page down. I don't read and scroll at the same time.

6. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I see no flickering, color or font changes with Chrome, Firefox or Safari. I used both 2 finger scrolling on the trackpad and an external mouse, as well as the MBA standalone then with an external monitor.

Caveat: my MBA is a 13".

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

What I saw was very subtle, I never noticed it before. It certainly wasn't "dark fonts and images getting much brighter" as the OP described it.

8. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

The text gets slightly lighter while scrolling. Lack of enough screen refresh.

9. pawelk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for reply

I've made a short video showing the problem

https://vimeo.com/101849512

but i guess its normal in all MBA, though it doesnt happen in 100$ netbooks, shame Apple

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My 2013 13" MBA does that, but I think your video makes it look a little worse than it looks in person. But yes... if you flip through a long web page quickly there is a bit of refresh lag with the text.

Funny thing is it it not noticeable at all with my MBA attached to the Thunderbolt Display in clamshell mode, so I suspect it is an more an issue with the MBA LCD refresh rate rather than a GPU power issue.

11. pawelk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep its probably LCD problem, could be some problem with voltage according to this test

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

The text also get lighter when you for example move the browser window around.

12. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Some sites seem to exaggerate the issue while others-- not so much. On forums like macrumors I don't really get the problem. However on particular sites like the one you linked, I do get it.

Maybe it's the way certain texts are rendered?