Is it normal for my Blackmagic speed to be so low?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by N1k0gr3En, Sep 11, 2012.

1. N1k0gr3En macrumors newbie

hows it going everyone? first post here

Anyway...my specs are late 2011(december) macbook pro 2.2Ghz quad-core i7 6mb shared level 3 cache, 4gb 1333Mhz ddr3 sdRAM
    500 gb 5400 rpm hd
    -hd graphics 3000
    -radeon hd6750

SO essentially its the base model

i tried the blackmagic speed test, and my write speed came to 37, and my read to 42...and this seems quite low.

Is this normal?

THANKS

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Blackmagic has been reporting very inaccurate results since its last update or two ago. I suggest not using it and disregarding all tests done with it and using something else. I use Xbench. It may be six years old, but the disk benchmark tests are still accurate. Little else it does is.

3. N1k0gr3En thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: restarted computer, deleted it....

Can someone give me a reliable program to run benchmarks for everything on my comp? thanks

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why would you want to run a disk speed test on a slow stock 5400rpm hdd? They aren't fast at all. Primelabs geek bench is a good way to bench CPU and ram.

5. N1k0gr3En thread starter macrumors newbie

just to know what i have.....simply out of curiosity. I plan to upgrade to 16 gigs of ram and a 256gb or 512gb SSD soon. just wanted to know what it was at thats all.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Those numbers similar to what I was seeing with the stock 250GB HDD in my mid 2009 MBP. ~38/35 read/write

I've since upgraded to a SSD, and my read/write speeds are ~265/210(I'm limited by SATA II at this point).

7. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

It's slow. Look at the extensive numbers from Toms or something. What is the manufacturer? Find it and look in System Profiler. Probably no faster than 110MB/s read and 100MB/s write. 10-20ms response time and low everything else.
    My Toshiba 750GB 5400 RPM I got with my Macbook is pretty stelar for a 5400 and the density keeps it on par with 7200RPM 500GB disks at a fraction of the power. Response times are in the toilet as expected but a very nice data disk. I still installed a Sandforce OWC SSD. But you have to be exited by what you actually expect. Xbench is weird but free and will test the drive. Also AJA disk Test should give you straight sequential numbers. You may not want to see any of the others:eek:

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Is any other apps running?
    For a 5400rpm around 100mbps sounds right.

9. AirThis macrumors 6502a

The figures you report are similar to what I get on a Mac Mini late 2009 edition. I agree with yusukeaoki's remark with respect to background apps. A few things to check before running the test:

a) You are unplugged from the net
    b) You have no apps running in the background
    c) Spotlight is not indexing your files
    d) Time machine is not running
    e) Anti-virus software is inactive

Regarding point a), the update for 10.8.1 nearly brought my Mac to a standstill while it was downloading in the background. It took me a good 30 minutes of investigation to understand what was happening.