is it normal for my c2d to be this hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trungthiendo, Aug 26, 2009.

1. trungthiendo macrumors regular

just using ichat with isight on, and the cpu shoots to 73 and stays there.

hd temp is at 35
    heatsink b is at 61
    and northbridge is at 51

cpu activity
    user 20-35
    system 10-20
    idle ~50%

my model is june 2009 13 mpb...is this temp normal for what i'm doing? or do i have one of those laptops with massive amounts of thermal paste on...

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Massive amounts of thermal paste should cool your computer. I think you meant to say "meager amounts" ;). From what I've heard, iChat is pretty intensive. Did you have any apps running in the background (with a light under them in the dock)? That might contribute. Check the activity monitor to see what is eating up CPU times. Also, make sure your MBP has adequate ventilation. Hope this helps.

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

No, massive amounts of thermal past will make it overheat. Has anyone checked the paste on the 13" MBP? I would assume Apple has it right by now.

The 13" MBPs are known to get very hot. 90C or higher is not unusual at full load.

4. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Well since your CPU is running at 50%, I'd say you're not closing something

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Like iChat.

6. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

yeah when i'm on ichat and using webcam/isight...it stays around 30-50 percent activity...i am just curious as to why this is...i mean its just a chat client and webcam...but i guess since its capturing at ~30FPS that could be why its around that much % cpu wise.

yes massive amounts of thermal paste will make you overheat, too little or too much is a bad thing in this regard.

i have a c2d desktop and it never touches 55 c, but that's probably because its a desktop...with good cooling.

just wanted to know if others were having the same temps.

as for if i'm running anything in the background, i'm not, i closed everything only program running is ichat and the normal widgets that came default with osx

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If you're using iChat w/iSight, it has to compress the video on the fly to send it over the connection. That takes CPU power.

8. trungthiendo thread starter macrumors regular

ah okay that explains it...since video compressions is rather cpu/gpu intensive

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sounds pretty normal (aside from the heatsink) for my early 2007 MBP, which I think has a similar processor to yours (I have 2.16Ghz). When I use HandBrake, the CPU temp often gets up to the mid-170s F (I'm guessing that's mid-70s to 80 C). I have a three-fan unit under my MBP which provides that cooler air plus gives the bottom of the computer some breathing space. I'm also in clamshell mode, which means less air coming out around the keyboard.

I think you're fine, although the heatsink seems high. Just make sure these numbers aren't sustained for a LONG time. I would check into the Snow Leopard upgrade because it's supposed to require less bandwidth for iChat video. I'm guessing that my help you a bit.

10. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Does most or all of the heat come from the CPU and GPU?

How much comes from the HDD? (I am contemplating SSD and was wondering how much heat will be reduced...)

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Not much comes from the HDD. Hard drives typically use 5 watts at most, and maybe 1 watt idle. The CPU uses 25-35 watts at most, and I think the 9400 uses no more than 25 watts. SSDs vary a lot in power consumption, for example the newest Intel X25-M 160gb 34mm uses .15 watts active and .06 watts idle, but an OCZ Agility 120gb uses 2 watts active and .5 watts idle. (these watt numbers are from Newegg, actual wattage may vary)