is it normal for the fans to kick in during secure empty trash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I am running a secure empty trash on my 2010 i7 macbook pro with 10.6.6, & I guess there is alot in the trash, over 15,000 items, & notice the fans are kicking in, is this normal?

should I empty the trash more often? does it matter? will I need to do anything after this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any time your CPU/GPU has a heavy workload and temps rise, the fans can speed up. It's nothing to worry about. It's functioning as designed.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I saw a little box showing the progress, then suddenly it dissappered, & the fans went off, how do I know it has finished?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Um..... is your trash empty?

5. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I clicked on the trash can on the dock, & saw most of the items to delete are still there.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try holding the option key while you select empty trash.

7. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

This seemed to work, it looks like it might take awhile, & the fans are starting up again, is it ok if the fans run for awhile while the trash emptys?

why did I have to use the option key? how do I get it to complete the job?

how will I know or how can I check to know if it finished the empty secure? it seemed to just stop partway through it.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's fine that your fans spin faster. That's what they're designed to do. For trash questions, this should help:

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

You can tell when your trash is empty because the trashcan icon on your Dock will be empty:
    ScreenCap 17.png ScreenCap 18.png

9. badage macrumors newbie

Of course, unless you empty the trash, how else do you get rid of the smell? :D