Is it Normal for the iPod to be power hungry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AHDuke99, Sep 24, 2008.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I started listening to my iPhone's iPod tonight around 12:30 so I wouldn't wake my roommate as I was studying and the battery was at 50% or so, and I just looked at the phone and it's at less than 10%. I've always wondered about my battery not really being up to par, but is this cause for concern? Should I be making a trip by the Apple store and ask them? I've already gotten it replaced once for subpar performance.

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I can use my iPhone all day at work, mostly listening to music.

I only have EDGE on since I can't get Wifi or 3G signal at work. Also, I have location services off. Turn off any unnecessary wireless signals and lower the brightness of the screen (mine is 25%)

Have you calibrated the battery? Draining it all the way and then charging it overnight (repeat 1-3 times)?

If you have done all the above and still have battery issues, then stop by the Apple Store.

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

why should one have to "CALIBRATE" anything? also, all those things u have off, whats the point of even having the iphone 3g if you cant use them?

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Use iPhone Regularly
    For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

from http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Also, I'm not saying to turn off features you're using. I said to turn off features when not in use.

Same thing as turning off a light in a room that's not currently being used, to save electricity. You can leave on all the lights/appliances at your house and then wonder why your electric bill is so high. It's your choice.

6. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I've had this phone since July 23. I've calibrated it many times. I had Location Services and Wifi off, but 3G was on. I don't think 3G should drain the battery if the iPod was the only thing in use on the phone. It wasn't like I was making any calls during that period. The phone's final usage was 5 hours, 15 hours standby. 3 hours of that was music, 45 minutes of that was 3G calls, and an hour of Wifi internet usage.