Is it normal for the MacBook Pro 16 to be warm if left on charger all day?

Infiniteconstancy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2017
Apologies for the silly question - this is my first MacBook Pro :) Tend to be OCD about things like this. Left my MacBook on the charger all day by accident. Just grabbed it and noticed the bottom of it was pretty warm - I am assuming this is normal?

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2017
Yes most likely due to Indexing if it’s new or doing something in the background.

This usually happens to me when I close the lid and the Virtual Machine continues!

install iStats for fan control and temps reading

marcinq

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
If you have Power Nap enabled (most likely you do) then it will wake up periodically to check emails, weather etc. therefore it will remain warm as opposed to be sleeping all the time.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2008
If you have Power Nap enabled (most likely you do) then it will wake up periodically to check emails, weather etc. therefore it will remain warm as opposed to be sleeping all the time.
is it better to disable power nap?

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
Actually it shouldn't really get warm. Unless you have some serious activity going on in the background then its not normal for them to heat up while asleep. Was this during the setup process?

marcinq

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2019
There are some processes which could prevent the mac from going to sleep (when on AC adapter). There is a possibility, as mentioned earlier, that indexing or some after-setup work is being done by macOS. Leave it for couple of days for everything to sync (most likely this could be related to iCloud Photo library sync) and settle down then if it keeps doing it you might be looking at some issue.