Is it normal i am still getting "unable to check update" when trying to dl beta3

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by GadgetGeek407, Jul 9, 2013.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

I have no idea why my phone is STILL saying unable to check for update, there cannot be that many people on beta 24/7 crashing servers which is what I thought before, anyone else? what is the fix?

2. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

Download the ipsw from the dev site. Restore as new, then restore your backup. That worked for me.

3. zmagik macrumors regular

4. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I never was able to update ota as well along with tons of others . Ya got to do it the old fashion way through iTunes

5. joeyp000 macrumors newbie

I was able to successfully force the beta 3 OTA to appear.

I was able to force the beta 3 OTA to appear after unsuccessfully trying several ways to get my iPad 3 to upgrade via OTA.

I used the following method:
    Backup (I used an iCloud backup)
    Enter DFU mode
    Restore to iOS 6 via iTunes
    After iOS 6 has restored hold down option and clicked Check for Update
    Selected the version of iOS 7 beta 2 for my iPad
    Activated on the iPad and entered my iCloud login and selected the most recent backup... wait
    Immediately after the restore (while all the icons are still downloading from iCloud) I went to Settings
    Success, Software Update displays iOS 7 beta 3 OTA!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like it's probably much simpler to just download the file from the developer portal and upgrade through iTunes.

7. joeyp000 macrumors newbie

This is an iOS 7 forum. It is not exclusively for developers. Some of us may not be developers but are running iOS 7 in significant numbers. Our unofficial use of iOS may not supported. However, we are contributing to the bug testing. Forums like this one allow us to run this unsupported beta software. So please enough obnoxious replys.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

What replies would those be (in this thread)? :confused:

If it's in relation to my reply, I simply stated that the somewhat complex and long way of possibly getting the OTA to work (which is still far from guaranteed for many who have an issue with OTA) might just not be worth the hassle over getting the actual iOS 7 beta 3 file and updating it via iTunes. Nothing obnoxious or otherwise about the statement.

9. joeyp000 macrumors newbie

I would wager that a significant number of the members here are not developers. You are assuming that people seeking help with an iOS 7 related problem are developers. You were simply the straw that broke the camel's back. As I have been browsing several iOS 7 related posts, where people are legitimately helping each other, only to have someone pop in and tell them something obnoxious about not being a developer.

That being said, my apologies.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes. :( Fortunately, I think that's happening less often.

11. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

ipsw is not on the developer site just DMG. so put on Windows are SOL.

12. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Not true. You can use 7zip on Windows to open the DMG and extract the .ipsw

13. Daku93 macrumors regular

Well, if you are an iOS developer you should own a Mac, because you can only develop iOS Apps on a Mac. If you don't own a Mac you probably are not an iOS developer and thus not even allowed to use the beta.

14. Paddle1 macrumors 68020

:eek: Oh my.

15. joeyp000 macrumors newbie

This is exactly the kind of comment I was talking about.

16. brettnussb macrumors newbie

Has there been a fix discovered for this? I'll be forefront and I am not a dev.

I was able to update from Beta to Beta 2 & Beta 3 over the air, but now have been getting the "Unable to Check for Update" error for days. I have tried to leave it off, push home screen & turn at same time and no luck.

When I used to click check for update, it lets me know that my iOS7 was most up to date.

17. Phillyfinest89 macrumors member

The dev center is down. You can't update until its back up.

18. brettnussb macrumors newbie

I am still getting this error. I do not think it is because the Dev center is down as I believe it is now back up.