Is it normal that...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 24, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

whenever I eat a meal, I drink more than I eat?

Is it unhealthy? Is it okay? I have always wondered.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Depends what you're drinking. If you are just drinking water, then I'd say it's fine. If you're just drinking soda or alcohol, I'd begin to worry.

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Actually it is usually juice, milk, or pop.

15 and still haven't hit the alcohol yet. :)

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Milk and some juice, depending what they are, is fine. Soda on the other hand, you may want to cut back on. What I do is have a big glass of water and a second drink whenever I eat.

5. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

when you say you are drinking a lot. how much are you saying? 4 glasses of "X" or more?

i dont think it is that bad, but you have got to be hungry 2 hours later

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

weird question! but its always good to drink some form of water based liquid except if its full of sugar. and yes that also means that drinking a lot of juice every day is bad for you.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I usually either have 2 huge meals a day or 4 small meals a day. Whenever I eat I always drink more than I eat. I would say about 60 oz. of drink per meal.

8. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

yeah i agree. juice is so bad for you. yes it has "fruit" in it. but there is so much sugar along with that, that it cancels itself out. go the organic pure juice no sugar added, if you are going to drink that much of it. other wise limit yourself to no more than 16 to 24 ounces of it a day.

9. Roobsa macrumors regular

Doesn't drinking lots of milk with a meal fill you up quicker therefore meaning you don't eat as much? I tend to stick with the water now, I never buy pop or fruit juice because of the sugar levels.

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

you should be eating 5 - 6 smaller meals during the day. 1 or 2 huge meals isn't so good b/c your body 'starves' or 'craves' for food in between so when you finally do eat, your body gets all excited and worried about not having nutrition for a long time so it stores it.

each meal/snack should be 40% carbs (fruits and veggies), 30% protein and 30% fat (the good kind).

As for the liquid, pop....bad. take a glass of water...dump 10 spoonfuls of sugar and there's your pop. so bad for you. ugh. juice isn't so great either for the most part. water is great. should be drinking 8 full glasses a day. One way to do this easily is to down a full glass right after your meal.

why? does 2 things:
    1. helps your body digest the food better
    2. if you drink it before, it makes you feel more full so you won't enjoy your meal/snack as much :)

also drink a glass or 2 inbetween snacks and you've got what you need.

great question btw!

There is a huge need for our younger generation to understand nutrition better so thanks for asking.

Cheers,
    keebler

11. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Yea it does feel when I drink a glass of milk it fills me up fast.

12. letsgorangers macrumors 6502

Juice is not inherently "bad" for you. I don't think it should be all someone consumes and I don't think it should be consumed by the gallon, but it isn't bad. And plenty of brands make juice that has no added sugar; organic is not a requirement. I don't see how an organic juice would offer a higher nutrient value than a non-organic 100% juice.

OP: 60oz per meal? I'd say have one glass of juice, milk, or soda and once you finish that, just drink water. That's normally what I do.

In other words: Moderation.

13. Yaris macrumors regular

Yeah most juices seem to have nearly the same amount of sugar as soda. I always cut juice 50% with water because I find it way too sweet.

And BTW lemon or lime can make a glass of water wayyyyy better.

14. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I would say go easy on the milk, as too much calcium can give you kidney stones. They are NOT pleasant.

15. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

16. niknar1370 macrumors newbie

When you say drink more than you eat... how do you mean? Like, by weight you drink more than you eat. How can you really compare liquids to solids? So if you eat a sandwich for lunch, how many do you drink?

By the way, I'd agree with what everyone else has said: if it's milk or water, I wouldn't worry. If it's something high in sugar like pop or juice, I'd cut back. And obviously if it is alcohol then you have other issues... :)

17. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

If you are thirsty, drink. But it's better not to drink as much While you eat.

18. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Well, how's your weight doing, are you of 'average' weight and such for your age?

Also, I agree, stop drinking much pop, and lay off overdoing milk, you can just eat dark green vegetables for your calcium.

19. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

20. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Decent for a 6' person. I'm 160-165lbs myself, Same height. I don't drink that much during the meal though. I drink mostly water or tea, when it's non-alcoholic.