Is it normal to get the checkerboard effect?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by P51, Feb 1, 2010.

1. P51 macrumors regular

I only get it when I start scrolling when the page is still loading or when I zoom in close and move around. This normal? I have a 32gb 3gen.

2. Vesuvio Cat macrumors regular

Yeah, I think it's normal. I get it on my iPhone 3GS and my iPod Touch 2nd Gen. Steve even got it on the iPad during the demo.

It's one of those issues which is kind of an elephant in the room. Never discussed, never addressed, but as annoying as a mosquito.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What's the checkerboard effect? Are you talking about the checkerboard pattern that's in places that haven't been loaded yet? If so, that's there on purpose... no elephant in the room.

4. NathanA macrumors 6502a

I get it WAY less often on my 3GS than I ever did on the 3G. I chalked it up more to the fact that there is more RAM available to store a fully-rendered page in than the fact that there is a faster CPU available to reduce the rendering time. But I could be wrong. In any case, it seems like the 3GS can have a page fully-rendered and allow you to scroll around more often than not without seeing the checkerboard, at least in comparison to S5L8900-based devices.

-- Nathan