Is it normal to have a delayed reboot after ram upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cis4life, May 26, 2018.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

Good Day,

I bought a new 27" iMac 5K. It has the 1tb fusion. I basically deleted the fusion drive for storage and boot off a 1tb Samsung T5. I also upgraded the Ram to 64gb. Everything works fast once it boots up, but if I reboot the screen is just black for like 30 - 45 seconds, then I see the Apple logo and so on.

Is the 30 - 45 second of black screen normal after this type of upgrade? I checked the ram in the system and it all comes back working and right?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Reset PRAM. To do this, hold CMD + ALT + P + R on startup until you hear the Apple boot chime 3 times, then let go.

Should fix the issue.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

After you reset PRAM: after booting, be sure your boot drive is selected in the Startup Disk pref pane. The PRAM reset will un-set that pane.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

In "the old days", one of the very first "checks" the Mac performed (after the power-on button was pressed) was the RAM. The more RAM that was installed, the longer it took to check it. Thus, a slightly longer startup.

I'm not sure if that's still the case today.

OP:
    Power down and reboot the Mac 3 or 4 times.
    Does the "startup delay" diminish, or does it remain constant?

5. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

On my iMac 27" I don't get any chimes when I try this. I see it turn on (lite up black screen) and while Im holding the key combo, I see it turn back off and then turn back on, but no chimes? Didn't apple remove the chimes?

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, the boot chime is gone on the new iMacs. All you get is the video resets that you see. (but, the Startup Disk will still lose your boot drive through that NVRAM reset, so be sure to check that, once you get booted up.