Is it normal to have a few scratches on your iMac display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mtthwcmn1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member

mtthwcmn1

I don't have any pets or anything, never has left my desk or been touched, it is a 3.4GHz i7 Sandy bridge model. It has 2 very light scratches and one tiny deeper one. Is this normal wear and tear or should I get it replaced?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did the machine start out with scratches or did you end up with scratches? Because I have a Late 2009 iMac and it does not have any scratches, or marks for that matter.

If it's new and has scratches, I would get it fixed or replaced. If it's not new… well stuff like this happens.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What you are seeing could well be smears and hard to remove stuff. I have the high res. 27" and have yet to find a way to keep it totally clean. I have been using anti-static cloths slightly damp, as recommended by Apple, but the coating "Drags" and it's impossible to get all the stuff off.

I don't know where it comes from, as mine has never had a finger laid on it except maybe when moved on to my new desk.

I have it covered when not in use too.

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I have an iMac since 2008 with no scratches at all on the screen (at least, not that I see). There are some "fingerprints" though. Apparently it's dust that's burned into the display.

We once got it repaired. We wanted to check in the store whether they did it right. So they took a stanley knife and cut open the box, making a big scratch on the top.

They offered us a 50 euro's gift card or replacing the shell. We went with replacing the shell. It cost them (not us) 800 euro's. Haha, 50 euro gift card...