Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtthwcmn1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Hi! I just got a new 15" MBP and I took a flashlight to it when I unboxed it to make sure it was perfect. I noticed and extremely tiny nick on the top. You can barely see it without a flashlight. Is it normal to have a few extremely tiny imperfections?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi! I just got a new 15" MBP and I took a flashlight to it when I unboxed it to make sure it was perfect. I noticed and extremely tiny nick on the top. You can barely see it without a flashlight. Is it normal to have a few extremely tiny imperfections?

you dont even want to know what you would find on it if your used a CSI blacklight

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I can't help it. I saw this thread title and starting laughing... Maybe I'm a pervert.

But yes, it's normal. As long as it doesn't bother you too much you'll be fine. Most of the time it's just not worth it to return it to the store.

Bluehinder

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009

Not normal, they are always perfect. I'd return it.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I really like the Macs I've had, yet each has arrived with some cosmetic flaws (easily noticeable without close scrutiny).

Take the advertising hype with a grain of salt, lower your expectations & you'll be fine. It's just a computer .. :)

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine was flawless when I got it. If it really bothers you, exchange it. Just remember, even with a hard shell case on it, you'll get the same marks over time.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
If it was me, I'd bring it back. I mean it should be perfect IMO. Let me be the one to mess it up.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I don't understand people that are so nit-picky to complain about almost invisible cosmetic errors. Sending it back or throwing it away is IMO just the mentality that hurts our environment.
It is something different if the fan has an annoying clacking sound or the display panel has pixel errors which can be really annoying.

Makeing a new one because of some teeny tinsy error is in my opinion no different or even worse than throwing away half the crop of perfectly good potatoes because they don't look good enough to be on a shelf.

Aluminium is recyclable but still Aluminium production and manufacture is an immensly energy intensive industry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.