Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
I am new to a mac and have the download setting set up to drop on desktop when I download something.

My question is that I downloaded some widgets today for the desktop like "The Weather Channel" one. When it finished downloaded, it appeared on the desktop as two files a zip file and another file. I then had to click on it to run it but in the end I had to move the zip file to the trash after I was done installing it. Is that normal. Should there be two files each time. Do I need to turn on/off a setting.

Also happened when I clicked on a video to watch, I was streaming it but when I flashed to my desktop it downloaded it also. Is this normal.

robotmonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I am new to a mac and have the download setting set up to drop on desktop when I download something.

My question is that I downloaded some widgets today for the desktop like "The Weather Channel" one. When it finished downloaded, it appeared on the desktop. I then had to click on it to run it but in the end I had to move the file to the trash after I was done installing it. Is that normal.

Also happened when I clicked on a video to watch, I was streaming it but when I flashed to my desktop it downloaded it also. Is this normal.

It's never happened to me... but then again I never have things go to my desktop. Just download things to you download folder, conveniently located on your dock.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Safari > Preferences > General

safari-preferences-panel.jpg

With this checked, .dmg files get mounted and .zip files get extracted, thus two files or one file and one folder if you downloaded a .zip file.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Btw, the Dock is not the actual place where files get stored, it's just a shortcut to open and often used applications and folders.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
thanks to you both for the quick response back, I changed the option to remove after successful download

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.